Leica 15mm A setting?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by laptoprob, May 20, 2016.

1. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    Hi, just received this gem of a little lens. Great! One thing puzzles me though. The A setting on the aperture ring. I didn't plan on using it, but since it's there I tried it. It only fixes the aperture to 1,7. Even when pointed to the sky, even when exceeding the minimum shutter speed!
    What am I missing here? Tried it on both GM1 and GX7, with auto ISO and fixed iso. At aperture priority or manual, no difference.

2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Rob Campbell
    try it in shutter priority.

3. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    If your camera is in Aperture priority or Manual mode, you always have to adjust aperture manually. The A setting on lens is to disable the aperture ring function. You would need to adjust aperture on camera. Basically, if the lens is on A setting, treat it as if the aperture ring doesnt' exist.

• Like Like x 1
  4. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    Thanks, 'A' as in absent...
    In shutter priority the ring is without function.

I know this is a RTFM question, but my manual is in chinese or japanese or whatever... Found an english one online: A is the setting to control aperture on the camera.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.