GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
Did a first test to get some action into miniatyrphotography today, more to follow later.

LegoWars_01_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LegoWars_02_.jpg

LegoWars_03_.jpg

LegoWars_04_.jpg

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lots of votes but no replies. Allow me to be the idiot here.

The first one works best. Something happening in behind that feels like it's in the scene, and is an action rather than a set. The trails through the air in front of the subjects bring them into that action, and make the photo work as a whole.

That sense of being part of it is lost in the second shot. It's a cosplay group posing in front of a printed backdrop.

The third has strange patterns that my brain can't translate into a contextual environment, and although looking very closely the focus does appear to match the first photograph, the additional lighting from the left loses the definition of the only in-focus figure, making the whole piece look as though the focus is out.

The fourth has lovely lighting, even if it does suggest people at a fetish convention wading through the wrestling pit. The background is too ill-defined, and the patterns make it look like it's sloping down to the left, which kind of damages the water effect.

So lots of critique that you didn't ask for. I am however delighted with the set as a whole, as it's innovative and you are capturing interesting effects and I really do want to know how you managed them. You've kept it simple but focused, there's obvious care and intent on the lighting, and I really hope it was as much fun to shoot as it's been to watch.

I look forward to the next set :)

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lots of votes but no replies. Allow me to be the idiot here.

The first one works best. Something happening in behind that feels like it's in the scene, and is an action rather than a set. The trails through the air in front of the subjects bring them into that action, and make the photo work as a whole.

That sense of being part of it is lost in the second shot. It's a cosplay group posing in front of a printed backdrop.

The third has strange patterns that my brain can't translate into a contextual environment, and although looking very closely the focus does appear to match the first photograph, the additional lighting from the left loses the definition of the only in-focus figure, making the whole piece look as though the focus is out.

The fourth has lovely lighting, even if it does suggest people at a fetish convention wading through the wrestling pit. The background is too ill-defined, and the patterns make it look like it's sloping down to the left, which kind of damages the water effect.

So lots of critique that you didn't ask for. I am however delighted with the set as a whole, as it's innovative and you are capturing interesting effects and I really do want to know how you managed them. You've kept it simple but focused, there's obvious care and intent on the lighting, and I really hope it was as much fun to shoot as it's been to watch.

I look forward to the next set :)

Thx for the feedback, always good to hear what other people think.
This is a old thread, like 8 month, but it made the frontpage now :)

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice set, love lego bricks :)
The second one doesn't work for me: the lighting on the figurines don't seem to work, it's too 'clean', too 'posed', the smile on the middle figurine doesn't work in this context for me.

I like to first and fourth most. It tells a story, the colours add to the story.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Great set. I bet it was a blast to shoot! (puns intended)

I think the second scene is good but it's my least favorite. I think your "problem" here is that you hit it out of the park with the others :)

I like the first and third shots best. The wind swirl in the third one may be a bit incongruous, but I think it adds some chaos to the scene. I really like the lighting in the fourth scene - it makes it feel frigid and harsh, much like the weather I'm experiencing here.

If I may ask (or if you're willing to tell your secret) what is the particulate you used in scenes 1 and 3, and how did you propel it?

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I may ask (or if you're willing to tell your secret) what is the particulate you used in scenes 1 and 3, and how did you propel it?
It´s just normal flour being thrown at them :)

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The “atmospherics “ give 1 and 3 a touch of reality that 2 lacks. I think some of the lack of comments is because many of us have not done set pieces like this and are reluctant to idly criticize good work that clearly took imagination and effort.

Latest threads

Top Bottom