Legacylens on G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kurt1968, Sep 3, 2014.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi , bought a Konica 50mm lens, and tried in in M Mode on my G5.
    I use use the scroll wheel to find the correct shutterspeed .

However , per accident i used this lens in A Mode , and it seems to work correct , camera selects ISO and shutterspreed , i only have to focus manually.
    Much easier than in M mode !
    Is this normal that i can use ADAPTED LENS in A Mode ??
  2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Of course it is .. .

A mode means Aperture priority .
    The lens Aperture is selected by the user and the camera chooses the other settings automatically .

It doesn't matter if the Aperture is selected manually or or electronically.

I use A mode all the time .. And even S mode sometimes .
  3. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi , i meant an ADAPTED lens .
    i thought that i could only use this is M Mode .... but it seem to work in A or S mode too , so is much easier , i only have to do the focussing , and the camera chooses ISO and Shutterspeed
  4. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    Yes, I always use A mode for my Konica 40mm on my G3. The camera then chooses the appropriate shutter speed (and ISO).

Have fun!
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Like was said above, when the camera does not choose the aperture it sets the other settings in A. It's what I use. A just pretty much rules.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I always use "A" mode for my old lenses on digital bodies, very easy with m4/3rds, and very very easy on G-series.
  7. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I never use any other mode than 'A' when using Legacy Glass on my G5.

It's quite surprising that someone who uses legacy glass didn't realise that PA(S)M was readily available. Glad you stumbled upon it - serendipity rules! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, I know you meant an ADAPTED lens.
    I am very good at reading despite going to public school. I cant speak for others tho,
    If you look back you will see that I wrote " It doesn't matter if the Aperture is selected manually or or electronically. " Referring to any lens by making no specific type of lenses designation there.
    .. So now I wonder why you would think I was referring to only native lenses and not adapted ones.. Do you have any native lenses which have manually selectable aperture rings on them ?

This is why I think so many people might benefit from taking a basic photography class. Knowing about the Universal basic settings of cameras would cover this quandary.