Legacy Thrifty Fifty Opinions. Which 50mm 1.7/1.8/2.0?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dyrmaker83, Feb 21, 2011.

1. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    So I have an E-PL2 on its way to me, and I'd like to pinpoint which legacy adapter I'd like to invest in based on which "cheap" manual 50mm works the best with the m43 system. I'm younger and never had experience with manual cameras before now, so anyone else's experience or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Based on the images I've seen, most - if not all - of the f1.4 50's are way soft at maximum aperture, and the image threads show some great images from the cheaper versions. Incidentally they are a lot cheaper on Ebay and easier to pick up on older cameras for sale on Craigslist.

I happen to have picked up a OM 50mm 1.8 with OM-10 from Craigslist, so I'm basically asking for everyone's own opinions in order to decide whether I should go for the OM adapter or pick another legacy line. I'm eyeing the Minolta 50mm 1.7's on Ebay at the moment, since they seem to be highly regarded and inexpensive at the same time.

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling thread opening.
  2. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    If you already have an OM 50 1.8 then I recommend getting the cheap adapter from the bay or amazon and getting used to using that lens before you buy another 50. Just my 2 cents.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A set of OM lenses will be a more expensive option because they are sought after by collectors and both digital and film users. Olympus OM film cameras are seemingly still quite popular which drives up demand. For a consumer-grade lens the OMs are also beautifully built and make a lot of other lenses feel cheap. I think they're worth the price of admission, but there's many other good lenses out there as well.

You also don't need to stick to just one mount as adapters are not particularly expensive.
  4. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    I agree, I would roll with what you got.

I don't have enough experience to really recommend any brand over another, but I really like my Konica 50 1.7. I pulled it out today after not using it for a while and was shocked by the images. I would put them up against my Canon with the 50 1.8 II.
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Some people decide they do not like the extra work that goes with legacy lenses. I would use the one you have and see.
  6. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    i have tested a couple of them :
    Pentacon 50 1.8 , FDn 50 1.8 , Cosina 50 1.8 , Helios 44 , Revuenon 55 1.7, Fujinon 55 1.8

Now it all depends what this lens is for :

Sharpness hands down the FDn 50 1.8 on M4/3

I would say the pentacon or Fuji

A lens that disapointed me a bit helios 44 it is a legendary lens that does perform ok but nothing exceptional.

here are some tests

Ilia Koltsov - Micro 4/3 and legacy lenses
  7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I paid $16 total for a Rikenon 50mm f/2 (Pentax bayonet mount), it does all I ask although coatings will allow for flare in strong light. I had a Pentax 50/2 at the time, I found the Rikenon to be sharper overall but the Pentax' bokeh was a tad smoother.. I let the Pentax go. I won a $36 bid a couple months later on a 50/1.7 Rikenon which shows very similar IQ. The Rikenons both take 52mm filters just like my Lumix lenses, which is quite handy!
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Best cheap 50? depends on what you're looking for. For sharpness I'd say the Konica 50/1.7. The Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8 is another good option as it's sharp, plentiful and cheap. If you're willing to step up a bit in focal length I think the Helios 44 58/2 is in a class by itself (given that it can be had for around $60).

9. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Well I went ahead and ordered an OM adapter; they are pretty cheap after all. I will say I'm surprised at the recommendations - I've never heard of some of those lens companies (Rikenon, Pentacon, Helios).