Legacy Teles - SMC Takumar 105 F2.8 and Oly Pen F 70mm F2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by penfan2010, Jul 4, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Won two beautiful legacy teles recently, a Pentax Takumar 105mm F2.8 and an Olympus Pen F 70mm F2. Both are great lenses, very well-built and hefty, with superb sharpness and color fidelity. Overall, I prefer the Pen F lens better for handling because it is smaller; the bigger Takumar 105 is made even bulkier by the China-brand :43: M42 adapter I got. The quality of both lenses is similar (to my ageing eyes) to my Leica 90mm F3.5 LSM Elmar, but less prone to flare (better multicoating, I guess). All photos below with my E-PL1.

Super Tak 105mm samples:

Hostas
    Super_Tak_Hosta_2.

Lilies - shot wide open, out-of-focus background rendered nicely
    Super_Tak_Lilies.

Angry Bird
    Angry_Bird_Red_Super_Tak.

And the Pen F 70mm:

Grapes - look at the shallow depth-of-field wide open, nice soft backround
    Grapes_70mm.

Bee and Hostas
    Bee_and_Hosta_70mm.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The bee shot is awesome. I used to have the Super Tak 105 and also thought it was terrific but that m42-m43 adapter is big. I like the 100mm range quite a bit. I have an OM 100/2.8 that I just love. My Pen-F 40/1.4 is similar in terms of bokeh to the 70/2 you have. I sold mine recently and realized afterward that I had made a huge mistake and ended up picking another one up (I lucked into it). I won't make that mistake again. Pen-F lenses and RF lenses in general are nice in that they have a much shorter mounting distance and make a good match to the smaller size of the m43 bodies.

Awesome stuff. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Bee Shot

Thanks - patience, pre-focusing, and luck!

4. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Awesome pictures :) i love the bee as well

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    You're in a dangerous spiral, known as PFLA (Pen-F etc.): first a 38 then a 70. You're still to hit the 100/3.5 or worse... the 60/1.5 :biggrin:

PS: get an Olympus bellows for Pen-F! they're just right to fit the E-Pen body size, meaning you get full comfort for macro-shots, instantly pivoting the camera vertical when needed, and a focusing stage down under. It's great with any 38mm or long lens (70, 100).

• Like Like x 2