Legacy Teles - SMC Takumar 105 F2.8 and Oly Pen F 70mm F2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by penfan2010, Jul 4, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Won two beautiful legacy teles recently, a Pentax Takumar 105mm F2.8 and an Olympus Pen F 70mm F2. Both are great lenses, very well-built and hefty, with superb sharpness and color fidelity. Overall, I prefer the Pen F lens better for handling because it is smaller; the bigger Takumar 105 is made even bulkier by the China-brand :43: M42 adapter I got. The quality of both lenses is similar (to my ageing eyes) to my Leica 90mm F3.5 LSM Elmar, but less prone to flare (better multicoating, I guess). All photos below with my E-PL1.

Super Tak 105mm samples:

Hostas
    Super_Tak_Hosta_2.jpg

Lilies - shot wide open, out-of-focus background rendered nicely
    Super_Tak_Lilies.jpg

Angry Bird
    Angry_Bird_Red_Super_Tak.jpg

And the Pen F 70mm:

Grapes - look at the shallow depth-of-field wide open, nice soft backround
    Grapes_70mm.jpg

Bee and Hostas
    Bee_and_Hosta_70mm.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The bee shot is awesome. I used to have the Super Tak 105 and also thought it was terrific but that m42-m43 adapter is big. I like the 100mm range quite a bit. I have an OM 100/2.8 that I just love. My Pen-F 40/1.4 is similar in terms of bokeh to the 70/2 you have. I sold mine recently and realized afterward that I had made a huge mistake and ended up picking another one up (I lucked into it). I won't make that mistake again. Pen-F lenses and RF lenses in general are nice in that they have a much shorter mounting distance and make a good match to the smaller size of the m43 bodies.

Awesome stuff. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Bee Shot

Thanks - patience, pre-focusing, and luck!

4. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Awesome pictures :) i love the bee as well

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    You're in a dangerous spiral, known as PFLA (Pen-F etc.): first a 38 then a 70. You're still to hit the 100/3.5 or worse... the 60/1.5 :biggrin:

PS: get an Olympus bellows for Pen-F! they're just right to fit the E-Pen body size, meaning you get full comfort for macro-shots, instantly pivoting the camera vertical when needed, and a focusing stage down under. It's great with any 38mm or long lens (70, 100).

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.