1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Legacy Telephoto

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on a telephoto lens, I was initially going to go for the Oly 40-150 or Panasonic 45-200 but to be honest its not a lens that I see myself using a lot as I just want to try and get some shots of the ducks and swans that seem to live on the river nearby.

I've posed this question elsewhere and been suggested to purchase a Konica Hexanon 135mm f3.5/f3.2 with an adaptor as a good manual option, which I'm more than willing to consider as I've had a quick check and they are very cheap. However I was wondering if there are any other options I should consider perhaps from the OM or Minolta MD/MC range?

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Concerning Minolta, the 100mm 1:2.5 is a great option. Take care to buy the later version (MD Tele Rokkor, MD Tele Rokkor-X or MD) with a 1m minimum focussing distance, the earlier MC ones with a 1.2m min. focussing distance aren't as good. <a target="_blank" href="https://www.mu-43.com/f40/show-us-what-your-adapted-lens-looks-like-your-camera-473/index21.html#post123684">Just posted</a> about it yesterday. Can't speak for the OM 100mm myself, but I've seen favourable comments about it.

Another option is an MD 135mm 1:3.5, I have one and it has great IQ, but for me it's difficult to handle without IS (image stabilization) on the GH2, even though it's relatively light and small. I have fairly steady hands, but still 100mm seems to be my limit without IS. In good light it's easy enough to combat camera shake with a high enough shutter speed, but focussing becomes too difficult for me because of the finder image jumping up and down. I'd expect the image stabilization of an Olympus Pen to be very beneficial here, especially with the use of a viewfinder, but I can't speak from my own experience (yet :wink:).

3. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Most 135 mm f/3.5 will be quite affordable, while f/2.8 or f/2.5 will be dearer, but seldom better. I'd suggest an old Nikkor, non-Ai, 135/3.5, or a Super-Takumar 150/4, or a Topcor 135/3.5 (not UV-Topcor!). There are many alternatives if you stick to reputed makers, but I think I quoted the three best of the sixties and their most affordable models--all under $100.

In really old lenses (1950's), you'd get impressive results with an East German (Zeiss Jena) Triotar 135/4, coated version. Looks cool on a :43: silver body, too, and there's nothing which can break on it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the Konica Hexanon 135 3.2 and 3.5 both good the 3.2 being the better of the two. i was just given a Vivitar (Komine) 135mm 2.8 and it seems to proform well. I also have a Konica Hexar 135mm 3.5 thats is good but not as sharp as the Hexanons. The Hexar is likely made by Tamron.

5. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    My wife was an avid photographer before we met and had a Tamron 70-300 for her Nikon. The Tamron and my GH2 are a perfect fit, especially with ETC. I have gotten some great backyard wildlife photos with it. No, I didn't marry her for the lens.

Here are a few wildlife pics from my back yard: https://picasaweb.google.com/111018213417400216533/BlackhawkWildlife?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The first two are straight out of the camera. The last four were taken at dusk, so I brightened them a little bit.

I don't know how much they are on eBay, but you can get one for $165 new.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
    http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

6. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
  7. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes that adapter should work.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That Konica is a nice lens. A VERY nice sharp lens actually. I like the OM 135/2.8 a bit more as I prefer the bokeh but it's also more expensive. On an Olympus body with IBIS a longer telephoto like the Konica is pretty useable although focusing can be a bit tricky even with an EVF as the image moves around a good deal. I sold off most of my longer telephotos and went with the Panasonic 45-200 (because I have a Panasonic body I use it on) but the legacy route works well. I would recommend using a tripod.

9. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for the help, I'm aiming to get a Hexanon 135mm for now as I've also seen a few other Hexanon mount lenses I'd like to try (40/50mm) and looks like it will be the f3.5
    Probably add an OM adaptor soon as I'd really like an OM 50mm lens

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've tried a number legacy lenses (as have a lot of us) and we all have our favorites for different reasons. I don't think any of them is "best" because best is in the eye of the beholder but I found that I liked the OM lenses because the way they render an image is a bit more appealing to me. Of the Hexanons I have had the 50/1.7 can be found cheaply and is amazingly sharp. The 50/1.4 is also quite good and nicely made and the 40/1.8 is a favorite of many folks here on the forum. As I recall all of them tend to be abit soft wide open but sharpen up nicely when stopped down.

I have found the OM 50/1.8 MIJ version to be an amazingly sharp lens. It has become one of my favorite legacy lenses as of late and a bargain at about $30. Here is a sample...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/5822671664/" title="Rhody Morning by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 5822671664_4bddda1f5a_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Rhody Morning"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  11. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, nice photo dixeyk! I hope it's ok if I ask a few questions (hopefully it's considered on topic).

What does MIJ stand for? I narrowed a search on eBay to include MIJ and only one lens showed up but the photos of the lens looked the same as the other auctions that did not say MIJ in them.

Did you need to use any extender tubes or other macro aides to get this photo or is this lens capable of focusing this close?

Thanks!

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I had to google it too as I'd never heard that acronym before - its 'Made in Japan' I believe.

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have tried several long lenses and found the Vivitar Series 1, 70-210mm f-3.5 to be the sharpest yet. Hard to hold still at long end. 420mm equiv. But if you can handle it, it is amazing. And they can be found cheap on ebay. Even after buying the proper adapter, it is still very reasonable.

14. "Made in Japan" is correct. There are a number of different iterations of the OM Zuiko 50/1.8 which can be identified by cosmetic differences. After the earlier "Silvernose" F.Zuiko version there are two others that I am aware of. One is marked simply "Japan" around the lens and the other marked "Made in Japan". I believe this one (MIJ) is the most recent of the OM 50/1.8s.

15. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    As someone who is interested, but no expert, in japanese gear from the fifties, I understand the MIJ stampings immediately followed MIOJ--Made In Occupied Japan.

16. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    as one of the lenses you mentioned you would like:
    The 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon is a great lens, I had one as my kit lens on the FS-1 body.. a great performer, and a pancake for the day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks, been scoping them out on Ebay and it looks like I could get a 135mm, 40mm and 57mm for less than £100 which is good!

18. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    A great deal.... The 57mm f/1.2 ??

Oh My.... check this out

Sample Thread for Hexanon 57mm f/1.2

19. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Nah the 1.4 sadly the 1.2 seems very hard to find in the UK, just missed a Hexanon 50mm f1.8 but got my eye on an OM 50mm f1.8 on Ebay which finishes tonight.

20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The "Made in Japan" is considered the best. The earlier "Silvernose" F.Zuiko version is single coated, has 6 elements in 5 groups, weighs 170g (8.1oz.) and has a length of 32mm. This version has a creamier look to it, but may show flare.
    The newer versions (black nose) are multi-coated and there are many variations of multi-coatings on the newer versions. They have 6 elements in 4 groups, are somewhat lighter weighing 165g (5.8oz) and are 1mm shorter at 31mm. Many consider the "black nose" version that has the geenish purplish coating to be the best.
    So there are 2 optical versions of the lens and many versions of lens coatings.

• Like Like x 1