1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Legacy macro lens recommendation: 105/4 AIS Micro Nikkor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by naturecloseups, Jul 25, 2010.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I am happy to report that the AIS Micro Nikkor 105/4 shines on the E-PL1 in terms of contrast and sharpness.

Of all the macro lenses I have/know of -- this one has the least number of glass elements -- 5 elements in 3 groups (closely followed by the Kiron 105/2.8 lens'es 6 elements in 6 groups) and it shows in the edge acuity and overall "bite" of the results.

I have not used this lens much in my SLR days because it only goes to 1:2 life-size. But now with the 2x crop factor, I think this will be a staple lens in my arsenal. Am glad that I have two of them -- one AI and the other AIS with minor mechanical differences but optically identical to each other.

Do yourself a favor and grab one from KEH/the onlineauction site, you won't be disappointed!

:smile:

Black damselfly: E-PL1 + 105mm f4 AIS Micro Nikkor
    A little less than 1:2 life-size, no cropping

4826035824_4e744b49c1_b.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    nice looking shot - even the hiars on the leaf is seen clearly

3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The old SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/4 used a very similar design, also 5 elements in 3 groups. I've only recently been using it on m43, but so far its been very good.

I used one of the Micro-Nikkor 105 f/4 lenses for quite a number of years, back when I shot film in the waning decades of the previous millennium. It proved to be a stellar lens. It's good to see it works well on digital.

The design is such that it should pose no difficulties for the sensor. Both the Pentax and the Nikkor f/4's are not true telephoto designs. They are, instead, merely long focus designs with the optics a long distance, roughly equal to their focal lengths, from the film/sensor. In fact, if you cut the barrel of the Micro-Nikkor it will easily cover the largest 120 negative, 6x9, and possibly larger. In fact, the original version of this lens was the Bellow-Nikkor 105mm f/4. That lens had exactly the same optics, though none were multicoated, mounted in a "short mount" barrel for use on a bellow only. It would focus to infinity when mounted on Nikon's PB-4.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.