Legacy lens price trend?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by New Daddy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I have a few legacy lenses that I stopped using for some time. I'm looking to sell them to finance my new gear purchase.
    How has the price of legacy lenses been? Is the launch of full-frame Sony going to boost their price in the short term?

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Hard to say,, though the near term price trends won't likely change much. There just won't be that many A7/A7R bodies in circulation right away compared to the supply of the most common Legacy Lenses. I'm referring to Minolta MC/MD, Konica Hexanon AR, Nikon, Canon FD, etc... I'm just happy I don't need to buy all new adapters :).

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Depends what you got, but I think now is as good a time to sell as any if you are selling. I've been shopping around, so I notice some demand. I'm not lucky like some of these members who routinely find steals at thrift stores.

4. I don't think that the Sonys are going to have much of an effect on the prices of legacy lenses. They're still expensive cameras which will limit their sales, and the ability to fit an old lens on a current full-frame body is not a new one. Nikon DSLRs will accept all Nikon F mount lenses, and Canon DSLRs will accept lenses from Nikon F, Olympus OM, M42, and I think maybe Pentax K as well.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Same here .. I think that all the time..

I think that since it is an expensive camera those who can afford it will be able to afford the premium lenses for it. Legacy users tend to be thrifty shoppers.

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    There might be a spike in the some of the old rangefinder glass - or maybe even some of the Russian rangefinder glass. But that would be about it. I don't think early adopters would drop nearly 3K to field OM, Pentax et. al glass. Especially when the Metabones Speedbooster does a rather nice job on APS-C sensors.

7. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    I wouldn't buy something at market value today with the idea that prices will increase in the future. For this reason I tend to pick up what is IMO a bargain priced lens or something in mint condition slightly under what I see selling on ebay etc. I think that most fixed primes 58mm and under should never be bought at much over $35-$50 no matter what they are, tele's and zooms even less. I tend to try and find bundles with old bodies which usually puts each lens in the $10 range sometimes way less. This includes the Rokkor,Takumar, FD/FL, Hexanons and others that I have. Very few I have would not sell for double or sometimes many times over what I paid. My rule of thumb is buy what is priced low and is top shelf quality wise, and not what you are jonesin' for. I keep wanting a FL 55mm 1.2 lens, but thankfully my head tells me that going from f1.4 to f1.2 isn't worth 10x the price.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unusual lenses (either fast, unusually wide, or those with a Leica label) are probably going to see a modest uptick. But common lenses like 28/2.8s, 50/1.8s or 85/2s are unlikely to seen any changes at all. There are just to many of them.