legacy lens focus on GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by unkabin, Feb 20, 2011.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011

I'm just wondering if the GF1 will/can zoom when focusing a legacy, manual-focus lens, the way it does for m4/3 lenses.

If not, how do people who used MF lenses feel about focus ability? I'm specifically thinking of something like a fast 50mm used as a candid portrait lens.

2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    My G1 uses left-keypad-arrow then center-OK-button to zoom on a MF lens. Give that a try on GF1, hopefully that works..
  3. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    There is also a way to use the control wheel button to enable the zoomed focusing. Off the top of my head I don't remember exactly what options to enable for that, but that was extremely convenient versus the 2 button press on the g1/gh1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, it zooms in for focus. It can't feel you turn the focus ring on a legacy lens so it doesn't do it automatically, but when you're in manual focus mode and aperture priority, all you do is press in on the control dial/wheel and it magnifies the screen for you. Then you can either press it again or just partially depress the shutter to get back out to the full view. Its as easy as it is on any of these cameras...

5. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Perfect. Thanks all.