Legacy Lens Adapters

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
There seems to be regular questions about where to get adapters for legacy lenses to suit m4/3s cameras, so I've provided a list of those that I know of so far. Please feel free to add to the list, which will give all an opportunity to compare styles and prices (I've deliberately omitted the Olympus/Panasonic adapters, as they tend to cost more than what most are prepared to buy, or know where they can be bought anyway).

Adapters: Micro 4/3

eBay Australia Store ? Travor camera accessory store: Search results for.

eBay Stores - For Olympus, For Micro 4 3 items on eBay.com

eBay Stores - adapter rings step rings, macro photography items on eBay.com

eBay Australia Store ? phoebe-g2009: Search results for.

eBay Australia Store ? kin-don: Search results for.

eBay Australia Store ? Fototalia Camera Accessories: Search results for.

eBay Stores - Wireless Remote, Step Down Ring items on eBay.com

Novoflex - Adapter Finder

Cheers

Ray

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
Kudos for the Fotodiox adapter

I only have OM adaptors, but I tried three, and I definitely have an opinion.

The Olympus one is -very- expensive (around $170), and clearly very well made. It's the only one with a shiny steel (vs black anodized) surface on the camera end. (All 3 have shiny steel on the lens end.) I didn't like it though: It was way to tight on the lens end, so I didn't have confidence taking the lens off of the adaptor while it was still attached to the camera. Instead, I would take the adaptor off of the camera first (that was easy) and then struggle to get the lens changed before putting it back on the camera.

So I figured I would need something cheaper, so that I could have 2-3 of them and attach them to my favorite / current lenses. I got one on eBay for less than $40, labeled OM-m4/3 and black on the camera end, but like the Olympus it is a fine fit on the camera end but a way too tight fit on the lens end. I would never get that one again.

The third one (I ordered it while still waiting for the 2nd) is a Fotodiox from Amazon. I'm going to have to post a comment on Amazon, because this one is really great. It's about the same price as the one from eBay, and at first glance looks similar (shiny steel lens end, black anodized camera end). It has two differences that put it heads and shoulders over the rest:
1) It fits snug on the lens end, but only as snug as you normally expect a lens to fit. I can confidently leave it on the camera and swap OM lenses.
2) It has a really nice textured rim, even nicer than the one on the Olympus adapter. This gives me a comfortable grip when adding and removing the lens.

I'm hoping to buy an FD or AIS lens one of these days, and when I do, I'm going with Fotodiox first.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I've got adapters from pretty well all of the sites listed (the Voigtlander ones, Leica and Nikon were from a local source). None of them have been bad in any way. If anything, the main aspect that seems to distinguish the quality of the product is the lens release release mechanism. Some have a high quality feel and precise movement, others not so, but they all work.

The ones that I have are:

- Leica M
- Minolta
- M42
- Nikon
- Nikon to Leica M
- Olympus OM
- Olympus 4/3s
- Pentax K

I reckon the cheapest in feel and appearance, of all the adapters, is the genuine Olympus 4/3s to m4/3s and it is also the most expensive.

Cheers

Ray

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What a useful post. Anybody doing legacy should start here, and hopefully this column will continue to develop.

Kudos to you Ray... you are a real asset to this community. :thumbup:

Bokeh Diem

qball

Mu-43 Regular
been VERY happy with the adapters on evil-bay from Rainbow Imaging

iGonzoid

Mu-43 Veteran
Given that I plan to use my adaptors for a very long time, I have opted for a Panasonic m4/3 to Leica M (for my old Leica M and Canon rangefinder lenses with M adaptor), and an Olympus 43/m43 for my new Olympus 70-300mm. Both have worked flawlessly with all the lenses I have tried on my EP-2. Pricy but precise.

Jimboh

Mu-43 Regular
Adapters

My two cents... Bought JNFinance ebay adapter for Canon FD-m43. While it worked "merely ok" I got fed up with missing shots because of how long it took to mount.
1) You have to align the inside tab so it engages the aperture tab on the lens
2) hope the split ring doesn't rotate while shooting. The latter will cause your aperture to vary from the indicated value on the ring.
3) it focused PAST infinity, so you couldn't dial in F8 or roll to infinity quickly and reliably, causing missed opportunities. The only thing about the Novoflex adapter that was not an improvement was the ridiculous price... cost more than any of the lenses I've mounted on it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom