1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Legacy flash on EM5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stevendotwang, Jul 15, 2013.

1. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Hi forum,

Before I pop the question, I have no prior experience with any external flash.

I recently obtained a Starblitz 250BAZ external flash and I was wondering if I could use it with my EM5. I've glanced through a few article regarding trigger voltage and found the model on this page (Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages).

It was tested by someone to have 6.8v trigger voltage. I want to make sure that this is safe with EM5, can anyone chime in on this?

Thanks in advance!

2. enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2013
    I don't know about this specific model, but in general I prefer to use a radio remote trigger between my E-M5 and any manual and studio strobes, even models that are know to be safe with modern cameras. A remote transmitter and receiver weighs less than a connecting cable, shoe adapter etc, and there is no risk of cables snagging around things or dropping in front of the lens.

You can also use the miniature flash that comes with the E-M5 as an optical trigger for a remote legacy/studio flash set in slave mode, as long as you switch off the preflashes in the E-M5 settings (E-M5 flash settings on manual, 1/4 or 1/8 power seems to work with most external units).

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    6.8V is pushing it. Olympus flashes themselves usually put out ~3V with the maximum safe voltage for the body being ~6V. I would stick with optical or radio trigger. If your flash doesn't have a built-in slave sensor, you can also buy one which sits on the bottom of the flash foot. There are also "peanut slaves", but those fit in a special port which is most commonly found on Vivitar flashes.

4. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Sounds good, I'll look into your advice when I get a chance!

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    E-M5 is good for up to 24 volts. Make sure the flash is less than 24 volt, you can check it using a multimeter.