Legacy Fisheyes

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scantron, Jun 14, 2010.

1. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Sounds like a great band name, doesn't it?

I need a fisheye for some jobs coming up but don't want to spend almost twice what my camera cost on the new Panasonic one. I won't be using it enough to justify the price (which is probably the case with most people- hello Panansonic?!?).
    What are some legacy manual focus lenses to look out for- than can be had for not much $$$?

Either that, or what's with that Zenitar model that's all over eBay? Looks a little dicey. Anybody have experience with it? It's a little too expensive to take a chance on...

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The legacy fisheyes tend to not go cheap. I'd give the Zenitar a miss but suggest you look at the Samyang or Peleng 8mm. I think the Zenitar is 16mm anyway.

Unlike the new Panny these are all manual focus and aperture but FEs are very forgiving with lots of dof.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I would like to ask for your attention when comparing such things as legacy fisheye lenses !

The vintage ones are probably designed for 35mm format, and show a cropfactor of 2 on :43:. This means that the fisheye effect is probably (completely ?) gone.

Also, the Samyang and the Peleng are designed for APS-C sensors, that are a bit bigger than :43:
    The crop factor here would be around 1.5 (APS-C sensors have different dimensions amongst manufacturers)

So, the only real fisheye lens for :43: remains the Panasonic 8mm f3.5, a lens that was readily developped for the :43: sensors !

41k6MQAOoHL_SL500_AA300_.

But, I agree, it's not a cheap lens.
    Owning the 7-14, I'm not sure yet if I will buy the 8mm, given the very rare special occasions where I would need fisheye effects.

C U,
    Rafael

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    You're absolutely right, Bill, the Zenitar is 16mm which will give a superwide rather than fisheye field of view on :43: but still with uncorrected distortions. The Peleng is a little more money but it does give a true full frame fisheye image on :43: and I know someone who gets superb results from his.

Here's a link to one They eat soap, don't they? - Olympus UK E-System User Group Photo Gallery

• Like Like x 1
  5. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    The Peleng uses an adapter and will still be MF/Manual Aperture, right?
    I think I'm going to need to spring for the VF-2 EVF at some point....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.