Legacy Fisheyes

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scantron, Jun 14, 2010.

1. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Sounds like a great band name, doesn't it?

I need a fisheye for some jobs coming up but don't want to spend almost twice what my camera cost on the new Panasonic one. I won't be using it enough to justify the price (which is probably the case with most people- hello Panansonic?!?).
    What are some legacy manual focus lenses to look out for- than can be had for not much $$$?

Either that, or what's with that Zenitar model that's all over eBay? Looks a little dicey. Anybody have experience with it? It's a little too expensive to take a chance on...
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The legacy fisheyes tend to not go cheap. I'd give the Zenitar a miss but suggest you look at the Samyang or Peleng 8mm. I think the Zenitar is 16mm anyway.

Unlike the new Panny these are all manual focus and aperture but FEs are very forgiving with lots of dof.
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium

I would like to ask for your attention when comparing such things as legacy fisheye lenses !

The vintage ones are probably designed for 35mm format, and show a cropfactor of 2 on :43:. This means that the fisheye effect is probably (completely ?) gone.

Also, the Samyang and the Peleng are designed for APS-C sensors, that are a bit bigger than :43:
    The crop factor here would be around 1.5 (APS-C sensors have different dimensions amongst manufacturers)

So, the only real fisheye lens for :43: remains the Panasonic 8mm f3.5, a lens that was readily developped for the :43: sensors !

But, I agree, it's not a cheap lens.
    Owning the 7-14, I'm not sure yet if I will buy the 8mm, given the very rare special occasions where I would need fisheye effects.

C U,
  4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    You're absolutely right, Bill, the Zenitar is 16mm which will give a superwide rather than fisheye field of view on :43: but still with uncorrected distortions. The Peleng is a little more money but it does give a true full frame fisheye image on :43: and I know someone who gets superb results from his.

Here's a link to one They eat soap, don't they? - Olympus UK E-System User Group Photo Gallery
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    The Peleng uses an adapter and will still be MF/Manual Aperture, right?
    I think I'm going to need to spring for the VF-2 EVF at some point....