1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Legacy 300mm OM

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rklepper, Feb 3, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am not too impressed with any of the current offering up to 300mm for m4/3. I am looking at using an om 300 with the olympus converter. I assume that converting a zoom may not be worth doing. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I spent most of my life manual focusing, even shooting sports with Manual focus, so that is not a real issue.

Thanks

Doc

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I,too, have been looking @ legacy 300mm lenses. Mostly, if you want images w/better IQ than the 100-300 panny you'll have to spend. A lot of folks like the canon f4 FD . There's a thread about the Tokina 300mm f2.8. Seems good but costs a lot. I've got a bid on a canon f5.6 for very little money. I've heard good and bad about the tamron adaptal. With legacy glass, you never know. Also, 300mm is difficult to shoot manually, so opinions should be viewed skeptically. What about the 4/3 Oly 70-300 w/adapter?

• Like Like x 1
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks I will take a look at those. I am just a little Leary about adapting zooms as I have had horrible luck doing that with Canon. Also, I am worried about cheap adapters and image quality. For what I want it for I am not sure I would need a 2.8 lens. Looking at the 300 f/4 as that seems like it would be plenty fast for me. I do not shoot indoor sports anymore.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some long zooms work just fine! There are two big problems with adapting a long lens. #1 they are looong and heavy! Hard to hand hold and unless they have a tripod mount they can awkward even on a tripod{plus added risk to break the mount}. The other problem is that unless you have a very recent coated lens they flare easy and have CA real bad. I have an Osawa 60-300mm that I have used and it works as long as I don't point it toward a bright light source like the sun. Even then most of the CA can be corrected in Lightroom.

6. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I use an Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 on my OM-D without too much difficulty. The IBIS works well and CA is easily dealt with in Lightroom 4.

CS1.

LochLinnhepano_zpsd76445ee.

300mm-1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eirik

Eirik Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Eirik
    The Ais Nikkor 300mm f2.8 ED-IF, is also a nice, if not big and heavy companion to use on the E-M5. The results coming out of it are very good though (Some here)...

8208721376_8932f57eb4_c.

• Like Like x 1