LEE Seven5 and Olympus 12-40mm (vignetting?)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pepporony, Mar 5, 2014.

1. pepporony

pepporony New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy Grad ND/ Big stopper filters but got stuck with the system choice.

Can you use Seven5 system at its maximum (2 filters with CPL) with Olympus 12-40mm at 12mm with no vignetting?

I asked some shops and they said to be safe I should go with 100mm system (of course, more expensive).

I did even ask LEE and they said they are not so sure. They willing to refund if I end up buying and got issue though.

Anyone have a real world experience?

Thanks for any input!

2. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    Hi Pepporony, just wondering if you ever got an answer to your question? Did you end up going with Seven5 or were you more or less forced to use the 100 system? Also wondering is anyone has tried to mount LEE (or other) systems on any of the native SWA lenses.

thanks
    Ken

3. Venser

Venser Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    I'll try it out this weekend. I rarely use filters, so I can't remember if there's vignetting.
    I have the 12-40 f/2.8 with the LEE Seve5 system. All my filters are 75mmx90mm.

I have a 0.3, 0.6, and 1.0 filter. Any particular combination you want to try?

4. RJNear

RJNear Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Upstate NY
    R.J. Near
    I have the Seven5 system and on the 12-40mm lens I do not get any vignetting when using the big stopper and circular polarizer. I have found I get vignetting when I place the Lee Seven5 lens hood on and then the circular polarizer from 12 to about 15mm with the 12-40mm lens.

5. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I recently started using the Formatt-Hitech 67mm system with 12-40mm lens. That definitely has some vignette when using the the circular polarizer attachment. But when just using the NDs it is OK. The system is less expensive than Lee's. And the Firecrest filters are color neutral with no cast at all.

6. Craig Roberts

Craig Roberts New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2015
    Yorkshire
    No vignetting issue with the 12-40mm and LEE filter system.

However, be careful when using the polariser on the front of the holder, as you can get reflections on the front element. I solved this issue with a strip of velcro tie that I slip over the holder to vocer the gap where the grads go (this is where the light is 'leaking' in). See pic.

I'm LEE's urban photographer by the way.

Attached Files:

4.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I also use HiTech 67mm system. No problems and cheaper than Lee. 100mm would be too large. There's an 85mm, but the small filters are so nice and compact and hardly take up any bag space. Compatible with cokin A filter holders too.