1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lee Foundation Kit & Olympus Primes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cueball, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Hey everyone,
    I'm having issues nailing down an answer to the problem of using my Lee Foundation system on my soon-to-own more portable Olympus camera and lenses. My initial kit is looking like it will be an Olympus E-P5 (in the mail), 12 f2 (here), 17 f1.8 (in the mail), 45 f1.8 (here), and 75 f1.8 (currently convincing the wife).

So, what's the best way for me to get the Lee Foundation holder/filters onto these lenses? Is my best bet to get the 58mm Adapter Ring here:

LEE Filters Adapter Ring - 58mm - for Wide Angle LensesWAR058

and then use step-up rings for the 12, 17, and 45? Has anyone done this with the 12 or 17 and seen vignetting issues? I know there's another filter system made by Lee that covers mirrorless cameras but I'm not going to drop another few hundred dollars when I already have a lot invested in my current setup.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I can tell you that the normal Lee system looks pretty silly on an Olympus. It dwarfs the tiny body and lenses. The Seven5 system is also meant to be optimised for smaller sensors, but I can understand your reluctance to duplicate the kit.

3. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, I can imagine they'll look pretty ridiculous on such small lenses. Interesting information about the optimization though. I may have to check into that a little bit...

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Lee stuff is easy to sell on Ebay. I now have two kits.The Seven5 stuff is much better engineered than the old system.

5. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Just had a look through some of your images sir... amazing work. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.

I've been to Australia once for work (Canberra), but I wasn't into photography at the time and I wasn't able to get out and explore. Would love to come down there on vacation and actually get out into the landscape to explore.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    My pleasure, and thanks for taking the time to look. It's a big country with some great places to photograph.

7. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Op...this is a bit off topic, but you might want to consider adding the Panasonic leica 25mm f1.4 to your prime kit. Its really a special lens.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    +1 for the 25

9. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    It's on my short list but it seems so big compared to the Olympus primes (minus the 75 of course). I keep seeing/reading wonderful things about it and it would cover the gap between 17 and 45 pretty nicely. I wish Olympus made an equivalent 25 with a smaller form factor...

I'm most excited about having the 17 though. I've found that I love the 35mm FOV so it will probably be my go-to lens for most of the time. After I get the initial mu43 equipment squared away I plan on also picking up a Sigma 35 for my 5D3 (though the 24-70 II and 70-200 II have erased most of my need for prime lenses in those ranges).

I appreciate the suggestion!!!

On another off-topic note, how do you like your two zoom lenses Kpfeifle? My wife is trying to decide which mu43 body she wants and she prefers zooms to primes. I know the 12-35 and 35-100 are amazing but she doesn't really have a need for those at this point.

10. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Cueball,
    I like the 40-150, it was inexpensive and I feel that the quality is quite good. The kit lens is fine, but it does not really do anything for me. I'm more of a prime type of photographer, plan on getting the olly 45 next followed closely by the black 17 when it's out!

11. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm also interested in trying out this system, as I've had no real love for the screw-in grad nd I bought, I just can't get it positioned as I want/need. After reading more on how the Lee's are designed for a smaller sensor, I kinda feel that my 58 grad nd is pretty spread out for it's graduated transition. I compared the Lee to the cokin A-system and the cokin recommends not going over 52mm sized lenses, as I now have both the 12-35 and 35-100 I dropped it as an option pretty quickly.

My problem with the Lee Seven5 at the moment is that its sold out everywhere I've looked! lol. When it does become available, any suggestions on what filters you'd recommend starting out with? Hard vs soft grads?

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not sure where you saw that about Cokin A, everything I read says 62mm is the largest you should go. Website says: Recommended for lenses between 36 and 62mm in diameter with a focal length over 35mm. I know one person on here who has used it on his 9-18mm at the wide end and reports almost no vignetting.

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Haha Brian, I've been meaning to do the same thing for a while you know. I have a Lee foundation kit and a few filters as well but never got around to using a step down ring for it.

I'd imagine it would work flawlessly. I don't see the need to buy the mirrorless version.

Let me know how it goes :D;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

14. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Cokin - Introducing Snap! Kit for CSC.

Very bottom of the page. Says "Cokin advices to upgrade to a superior system in order to avoid vignetting issues." after 52mm. I also find it a bit irritating that they call it both the "A-series" and "Snap!"

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    All I know is that I have used it on 55mm threads without a problem, and know others who have used it on 58 and 62mm. Never heard it refered to Snap before, but I tend to shop the used areas more, where it is still labeled as A-series. Really, only issue I would see is a 62mm diameter wide angle lens, which I believe are few and far between.

16. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi!

Lee looks a bit oversized on M43. But they do a fantastic work!

I started out using the Cokin P series but at the 12mm end I got too much vignette. Especially with 2-3 filters. With the Lee system I don't have that problem at all on the M43.

I use an Olympus E-M5 with the 12mm prime and the 12-35mm zoom for my landscape work. As I also use a Nikon D600 so for my the advantage of using the same filters on both systems is great!

My experience so far is if you stack filters you better be safe then sorry, that's why I went with the Lee 100mm holder. It didn't work as good with the Cokin P size.

I have the 58mm holder ring and use step up rings when needed, works great!

No matter what size you go for I can really recommend the Hitech IRND filters. Very little colour cast compared even too Lee

Here you can find some of my images shot with the Lee system. Both E-M5 and D600:
    http://500px.com/dennisberggren

Regards
    Dennis

17. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Seven5 system. I didn't even know it existed until just now. I'm looking for a second kit alongside my 100mm Lee kit and did some quick internet searching to find out more. Does the Seven5 kit only have standard adapter rings (vs wide angle rings and standard on the 100mm system)? There isn't any vignetting?

18. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    There was only one ring type when I bought mine. I haven't seen any vignetting but I haven't used it much. I would ask my local dealer or Lee. Given that this gear was made for rangefinders with their wide lenses originally, I would be surprised if they did vignette.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant