Lee filters on micro 43?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by The Count, Jun 18, 2015.

1. The Count

The Count New to Mu-43

May 16, 2015
    Bethesda, MD
    I already own several "standard" Lee filters (100mm) including the pricey Big Stopper, several grads and of course the full size filter sytem for my old Nikon D300 but lately I've pretty much replaced it with the Olympus OMD E-M1 and the 12-40 mm f/2.8 lens. I would however love to somehow use my existing filters on this larger lens (by micro 43 standards) without having to buy the Lee Seven5 system and completely dupliicating the filters I already own. Is there some sort of DIY way to somehow modify my standard Lee filter holder to fit onto the 12-40 lens and the appropriate ring holder (62nmm size) for this lens? Has anyone else run into the same issue in transitioning from Nikon/Canon to micro 43?

Thanks so much for any advice or suggestions!
  2. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Don't have this holder but there's a 62mm Lee adapter ring available for it.
    I can't see any DIY being needed.
    If you stick with the 100mm filters you'll reduce the risk of vignetting at the 12mm end of the lens which can occur with smaller filters.
    You'll probably need hard grad filters to see any effect though as soft grads will be too gradual to show up.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You just need to get the filter holder adapter that has the same filter thread size as your 12-40. It should work fine. There is also an adapter for wide angle lenses if you run into vignetting near 12mm. Lee system is made to work on lenses of almost any size.

If you already have a filter holder adapter with another thread size (which is likely if you've used the filters before) you might save money by using a simple filter step adapter.