LED ringlight anyone?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have some lens testing to do and was wondering if anyone uses LED ringlights and what to expect with regards to an exposure setting, maybe Base ISO 200?

I know they won't be as bright as a flash but I'm hoping they will serve for some flat-lighting I need in studio tests rather than dragging out a bunch of lights, strobes, and stands. I'd think it might be easier to shoot through the middle of one and hope the light is flat and even verses measuring a bunch of individual lights and setting them up for distance, height, avoiding hot spots, etc.

Tia.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
What are you shooting - and at what focal length?
It's some chart with a target about 8 inches square at distances of 3-18 feet with varying lenses from 14-200mm. Light may be kept about 4-5 feet from target and I can shoot the smaller chart through the middle of the ring thing - maybe. I was hoping it might kept the chart lit more evenly than moving lights around and trying to avoid hotpsots which I think are causing issues with the target.

Just trying to get a f/stop and shutter speed at Base ISO using the ringlights. Their info isn't too good other than 0-255 setting (sRGB I assume, which means nothing other than being dimmable but nothing on brightness.)

As to type of shutter, I have seen in Live View a rolling dark wave go over the chart at a diagonal on the LCD using regular household LED bulbs (100 watt equiv.) which is disturbing. I think there is a flicker reduction in camera but don't know if flicker redcution is caused by 120 volt A-C waveform (uniform) or internally in the bulb (or not uniform with other bulbs added?). Maybe using mechanical shutter will avoid that issue.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
It's some chart with a target about 8 inches square at distances of 3-18 feet with varying lenses from 14-200mm. Light may be kept about 4-5 feet from target and I can shoot the smaller chart through the middle of the ring thing - maybe. I was hoping it might kept the chart lit more evenly than moving lights around and trying to avoid hotpsots which I think are causing issues with the target.

Just trying to get a f/stop and shutter speed at Base ISO using the ringlights. Their info isn't too good other than 0-255 setting (sRGB I assume, which means nothing other than being dimmable but nothing on brightness.)

As to type of shutter, I have seen in Live View a rolling dark wave go over the chart at a diagonal on the LCD using regular household LED bulbs (100 watt equiv.) which is disturbing. I think there is a flicker reduction in camera but don't know if flicker redcution is caused by 120 volt A-C waveform (uniform) or internally in the bulb (or not uniform with other bulbs added?). Maybe using mechanical shutter will avoid that issue.
Flicker Reduction if set to Auto (I think) will sense & time it to the peaks.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
you might try 2 small flash heads mounted near the front of the lens

Nikon makes a unit just like that to get away for some issues with ring lights

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
you might try 2 small flash heads mounted near the front of the lens

Nikon makes a unit just like that to get away for some issues with ring lights
Olympus used to make a similar bracket (FL-BKM03), though it seems unavailable, other than a Chinese ebay seller:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

I have one....purchased from a Chinese eBay seller who appeared to have quite a few secondhand ones. Every major piece has Olympus branding, and if it is counterfeit, it's a very elaborate copy. I sometimes use it to mount two Godox flashes as a macro twin flash.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was given an LED ring light / flash a few weeks ago but I haven’t got around to trying it yet. I need a 46mm to 52mm step-up ring to fit it on my 60mm macro.

Sorry, I have no operational experience to share with you good people, I simply wanted to gloat in my own good fortune :whistling: :laugh1:

Last edited:

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That is exactly what most people want (if TTL).

It's TTL. But I'm not seeing any mention of HSS. It's using the Godox X 2.4 GHz radio system.

A close copy of the xlnt Nikon R1 setup.

Yup. It's dead obvious. Only I think the Godox version can take up to six units on the ring, while the R1 only takes up to four.

How much? When? Inquiring minds need to know!
B&H is listing the two-unit kit at $250. Additional units are $110 each.

No idea of when, but both Adorama and B&H are taking pre-orders.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Shame you cant use the MF12 without the trigger in say manual mode
But I suppose it is a way of making a unit that is not camera brand specific, and they can support more brands with less risk

I may be interested if it is not too big overall, but would need a step up ring as their smallest supported filter size is 49mm out of the box

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Maybe Godox's just-announced upcoming MF12 could fill that niche?

I will preorder the moment my favourite camera store makes them available. What the hell, I may even get three.

I had the STF8. Great flash, really good controls (instant control of ratios via a very convenient dial), but no modelling (I knew that before purchase) and such low power that increasing the head distance and adding additional diffusion was not that practical.

Only reservation with this new flash is the 'built in' battery. Having had a BLN-1 fail yesterday after what is likely to be just a few dozen cycles (I have 5 BLN-1s that I rotate) - I will be looking closely at the warranty options on purchase.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...Only reservation with this new flash is the 'built in' battery. Having had a BLN-1 fail yesterday after what is likely to be just a few dozen cycles (I have 5 BLN-1s that I rotate) - I will be looking closely at the warranty options on purchase.
Typically with Godox, warranty coverage/customer support will come from the retailer you purchase from, not so much Godox. Most reputable dealers will cover the 1 year warranty with replacement units.

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I will preorder the moment my favourite camera store makes them available. What the hell, I may even get three.

I had the STF8. Great flash, really good controls (instant control of ratios via a very convenient dial), but no modelling (I knew that before purchase) and such low power that increasing the head distance and adding additional diffusion was not that practical.

Only reservation with this new flash is the 'built in' battery. Having had a BLN-1 fail yesterday after what is likely to be just a few dozen cycles (I have 5 BLN-1s that I rotate) - I will be looking closely at the warranty options on purchase.
Good point, I may wait for the Adorama Flashpoint rebrand.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom