LED Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snkenai, Nov 1, 2010.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Any one using the new led based monitors for photography, still and vidio? My daughter does some celebration type photo shoots and some interactive web vidio. She spends 8-12 hours a day in front of monitors and is looking for a new "reasonably" priced Very good output. Any help is very much appreciated.

2. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I just bought one last week. The price is pretty much the same as non LED monitors now and they're much more energy efficient (and allegedly reliable in terms of their tubes not burning out or turning yellow over time). They also generate a lot less heat. I can't feel any heat off the front of the monitor at all where as with previous ones I could feel it being warm.

So far, no real complains, it looks pretty much like my previous LCD monitors but possibly a little more paper white / cool-blue. That might be from the yellowing of my previous lcd's over time though.

As far as I'm aware, the rest of the LCD technology is the same, it's just the lighting that's changed. It's still 16 million colours, and still the same dot-pitch and refresh rates as before.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I have a Dell G2410. I got a great price on it and it was reviewed very high for accuracy and energy efficiency. It costs around $250 right now, give or take. It was the best I could find without going up to the $700+ range non TN panels.

Dell G2410 Review - LCD Monitors - CNET Reviews

In addition to the price, here was the review excerpt that sold me as an amateur photographer:

We tested the Dell G2410 with its DVI connection. The display posted a composite score of 97 on CNET Labs' DisplayMate-based performance tests, which is the highest we've yet seen. We compared it with the 24-inch Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP, which scored a 90, and to the Dell S2409W's 87. The G2410's accurate reproduction of color and its screen uniformity impressed us the most. In the Dark Screen test, the display yielded the least backlight bleed-through we've seen in a monitor, suggesting that movie watching on the G2410 will not be plagued by backlight glare during dark scenes as some monitors are. The G2410 easily passed all of our color tests getting perfect scores in all six tests.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks to squeegee and zpierce, for the feedback. We are looking at the Samsung, because it is here local. I will check some more tomorrow.