LED lighting advice

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
I will be shooting my nephew's wedding in April. The ceremony will take place in front of a large window at midday (who am I to tell them it will make my life hell...???!!!) and I am thinking of buying some lighting to reduce shadows. If I were to buy it, then an LED panel which would avoid the need for intrusive flash and would give me most options on using the gear afterwards and I am clueless about this aspect of lighting.
The lights will be placed about 3m from the couple. My two front runners at the moment are:

1 - 330mm x 210mm, 4500 lux @ 1m
VNIX LED1000B Bi-Colour LED Panel With DMX Output

2 - 242mm x 191mm, 4320 lux @1m
LECO500S II LED Daylight Balanced LED Panel (Improved Colour)

I could look at this in two ways: all I need is something to provide fill light or aim it towards key light knowing I have a lot of reserve to cover all scenarios.
Now this is probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but for anyone who uses such gear would these be enough (or even overkill)? Of course if it is overkill it gives the option for
adding diffusers for greater coverage area.

Any advice on these gizmos will be most welcome.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Save yourself some headache and use a Google Pixel 3 phone with Night Sight. Google gives the Pixel camera superhuman night vision

I was very surprised to see some "younger" college professors results at the King Tut exhibit in Los Angles last week where they were using their Pixel cellphones in back-lighted conditions. There were some very bright display cases and the people in the dark ahead of them seemed as though they were filled with flash when I saw the results. Some were having Google's AI improve their images on the fly, even parallax corrections, so no need for post-editing work either.

All the "older folk" were fumbling with their DSLR cameras. focus locks, and exposures. Really was telling as to where this is all heading. Maybe even no more need for Adobe or other editing software either as Google seems poised with AI to take over.

If you are an older gear head, buy some stuff to keep the ILC industry afloat. But I fear where this ILC stuff is going in the next decade and if it will still be relevant. With these new things packing portrait lighting modes, filters, movies, flashless-fill light AI built-in, and Google's background editing eliminating post-editing and retouchng, it's sort of scary.

Fwiw, I went to one wedding where there was no pro photographer hired. The newlyweds let all those attending shoot with their cellphones and uploaded to their Instagram site which was shown on a large screen TV run by the DJ. Some of the stuff was really good too, and more innovative than most pros too. I really liked some of the short micro-movies that some came up just using their phones on the TV screen on the fly.

Of course.... :hide:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How about a couple simple reflectors mounted on stands to bounce the window light back at the couple?

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about a couple simple reflectors mounted on stands to bounce the window light back at the couple?
Ha! ha! Another case of the simpler answer is often the best :thumbsup:

I managed to get to Wexphoto (was Calumet in the UK) and they have some pretty powerful units for hire at a reasonable cost - at 16,000 lux they are 4x stronger than others I was looking at. This opens a whole new ballgame for me so I can see some experimenting on the horizon.
More gear to play with.....:2thumbs:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom