Leaving your comfort zone and trying something different :)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys:smile:
    In this modern world of consumerism and with extensive range of available products we are becoming more and more selective and have started to complain too much. This applies almost to every product .We have far more choices . We all have favourite products and favourite brands and when we are asked to try a different product , most of us go on defensive mode . This applies to photography as well . I started with mainly Canon Rebel series and settled on MFT completely .I don't see this as a problem or compromise but this has created comort zone which I didn't want to leave till last week when I decided to leave my
    OMD EM5 at home and shoot with X100 for a week which included a trip to a nearby place . I did miss the comort of different focal lengths and faster AF etc etc of OMD but Fuji X100 made the whole experience different and enjoyable . I used to be reluctant to try something different but not any more . I broke Apple shackles long time ago when changed to Galaxy and now ready to explore Windows OS for phone . If you have an opportunity to try a different camera or any other thing ...just leave your comfort zone and chances are you will be more productive :2thumbs:I love MFT and will never dump or change it but I am ready to explore new frontiers and try new things as long as they don't break my bank . I left my comfort zone and enjoyed it ..now it's your turn ..get out of your favourite things and try something different ..:2thumbs::2thumbs:
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    For me, it is, still, :43:.:tongue:
    I never want to feel as if I have reached a "comfort zone."
    Stay hungry! Keep the blade sharp.
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    One reason I buy more vintage lenses than native m4/3 lenses is so I'll be able to adapt them if I ever change to Fuji or Sony :)
  4. Bhupinder2002

For me also its MFT all the way and I can tell u , this format will be even more successful in near future . I just feel restless when things are just predictable for me .I need challenge and Fuji X100 is still a challenge :wink:
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    This month I'm trying something different - I call it "Shooting things that I hate".

Basically I'm forcing myself to shoot things I think are tacky - HDR, landscapes, fuzzy cat pictures, and more. These are all things I tried my hand at as a beginner, but I kind of left behind after I discovered I liked people photos more than others.

I've been focusing on HDR this month - of which I have no experience shooting whatsoever, and surprisingly it's starting to grow on me. I really feel that HDR needs a subtle touch - and I still won't breach into the alien-looking nuclear wasteland HDR that we sometimes see, but it's definitely still something out of my comfort zone. It's frustrating at times, but it's fun :)
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Shoot some film! :mischeif:
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Go for that Nokia 1020... You know you want it :p
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
  9. Bhupinder2002

I do shoot film these days :thumbup:
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Maybe change the venue and the lenses. I'd like to go long enough with a body to get truly, reflexively familiar with it.
  11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I have recently purchased two primes, the P14 and O45 and I am leaving my kit zoom at home. That may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but I have always been mainly a zoom shooter. But the fast zoom options in u4/3 are limited and pricey, so I decided to try the prime route. I have only been doing it a few days and I'm still not comfortable with it.
  12. Bhupinder2002

That's a beautiful combo. I love primes but bought Oly 14-54mm II and used it quie extensively. I sold it:dash2::dash2: and probably would wait for new Olympus prime zoom :smile:
  13. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I bought a compact camera, again. It was a big step :) it's actually really good, no more awful phone shots, but the m43 is still for those extra special shots
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    For me, trying something new means grabbing a lens that I haven't used for awhile and spending time wandering around with it. I went all in for :43: and can't afford to buy another type of camera just for variety. I have to save up for any additions to :43:.