Leaving Sony, Canon and Nikon for Olympus .....Again !

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Threads such as these are always encouraging to stay committed to what I have. Sometimes GAS is so great that we seek something different just for the sake of it. I'm not saying that's what OP did by any means, but rather that when people come back to M43, it reinforces the notion for me to not always look for different grass--I should be out photographing it instead!

Meh.

I bought an older Sony APSC, two Minolta film cameras, some flashes, a bunch of lenses, cases, etc. etc. I have well under $500 in it all and I'm having a blast with my 'new' stuff. Nothing like getting that roll of film back from the lab. You don't have to stick and stay, nor do you have to spend tens of thousands. I'm on the hunt for a good Brownie like the one in my avatar, can't wait to put some film through one. I'll bet it costs me about $25 and will be as much fun as a new pro grade lens.

In the OP's case he does it for a living and made decisions based on what he thought was best at the time. He has come to a realization. Ultimately, it has little to do with we casual shooters. Remember our discussion of the term 'invested'. He is invested in every sense of the word.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Meh.
In the OP's case he does it for a living and made decisions based on what he thought was best at the time. He has come to a realization. Ultimately, it has little to do with we casual shooters. Remember our discussion of the term 'invested'. He is invested in every sense of the word.
Sorry, but how did you get that from what I said? I even said "I'm not saying that's what OP did by any means..." In other words, his situation is not my situation, but I found his story encouraging for myself anyway. He mentioned his happiness with coming back, which reminded me of what I like about the system too. I guess in my comments I should have used an "I" instead of a "we." I'm sorry if that came across as speaking for anyone else.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Sorry, but how did you get that from what I said? I even said "I'm not saying that's what OP did by any means..." In other words, his situation is not my situation, but I found his story encouraging for myself anyway. He mentioned his happiness with coming back, which reminded me of what I like about the system too. I guess in my comments I should have used an "I" instead of a "we." I'm sorry if that came across as speaking for anyone else.
You didn't come across as speaking for anyone else. I just don't understand how someone coming back to the system validates someone else's decision. You don't have to live with a single mistress.

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ah! I’ve been going back and fourth with Olympus. I feel like the closest for me has also been the Nikon Z cameras. Currently using a Z5, and I’m impressed. So much that I’ve been thinking about selling an Olympus body. Don’t know if the E-M1 Mark II body or E-M5 Mark III body, and eventually sell all for Nikon.

Maybe I should only sell one body and fund another lens. Lol

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Congrats Rick
So did you keep it or are you looking for a underwater housing for your EM1.3?

You mean the underwater housing I just bought................YES
I took a bath on selling that one (No Pun Intended)
I paid over $800 for it just two months ago and they gave me $280 for it

And Yes I sold the Sony a7s III
Basically, I cleaned my self from all FF cameras, Lenses, and every bit my expensive lighting

I am still going to the Caribbean for another Job to film (Using my new Olympus Kit)
I just won't have any underwater gear to have fun with

Threads such as these are always encouraging to stay committed to what I have. Sometimes GAS is so great that we seek something different just for the sake of it. I'm not saying that's what OP did by any means, but rather that when people come back to M43, it reinforces the notion for me to not always look for different grass--I should be out photographing it instead!

GAS..............What an accurate acronym :dash2:

It's very common
I will be making a video about it and how I got rid of it in my life

Regards, Rick

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Until the next one. The new Canon EOS 5R looks brilliant and reviews well. Plus they have a good range of lenses, especially long focus zooms and telephoto lenses..

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Pssst! Hey, buddy! Yes, you. There’s a new Zeiss FF up for preorder. No nasty removable lens badness. Whole dang camera for the price of a (150-400 mm) lens alone. Three simple words. . . Dis. Ta. Gon.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
Hi All
You may remember me as using Olympus for many years
but then about 3 years ago I sold my Olympus kit to jump into Full Frame
I had purchased the newer Nikon"Z" system and bought into Canon and then gravitated towards sony (eventually buying the Sony a7SIII)
Over $20,000 later I found myself lusting over Full Frame and purchasing many lenses and lighting equipment

Then Covid-19 happened:
for the last 8 months, I have been sitting on $20,000 worth of camera equipment and wondering "What am I doing"
the "FUN" factor was gone !!
I was still making money but I wasn't having fun anymore

So I woke up one morning, Gathered all my FF camera equipment up, and went to my local camera store.
When I walked into the store (It took two employees to help me carry every into the store) and they were so amazed that I was selling so many systems and lens (Canon, sony & Nikon)
I told them the same story, that I just wasn't having fun with any of these systems.......

View attachment 859501

Long story short, they wrote me a couple of checks and I ordered the Olympus EM1 MKIII and a couple of lenses

I am so happy with my new purchase
Olympus is the most innovative system made to date with Live comp, 15 FPS, 230 Bitrate in 4CK and so much more.........

I have learned a valuable lesson;
All the Sony, Canon & Nikon"SHILLS" on youtube can Kiss my ass
I am done lusting over things that really don't matter like:
Full Frame, Low Light, 600-bit rate, and all the things that the "SHILLS" talk about that in the real world just don't matter
I have made TV commercials, Youtube commercials, bar and restaurant video for Instagram and youtube and so much more
And I could have done it all with the Olympus System for 1/5th the price and weight...

So here I stand before this community with zero regrets
it was a learning process I had to go thru (I guess) to realize that Olympus offers everything I'll ever needed in a much smaller less expensive package and the best thing is.................The fun factor is back

Best regards, Rick

Better late than never - welcome back Rick! It is clear you make decision with your head than your heart. With focus on family, product/video photography, I too would go with EM1 III and the lens set up such as yours. Though I might want to add 75mm F1.8, but it is all about personal preference, etc.

Anyhow, I am also new to this awesome place and shall look forward to seeing some of your posts/images if you choose to do so in the future.

About posting experience over DPR, I am sure DPR would love it to death as it shall create high traffic to their site! I think it might be better to share experience over YouTube because it will reach out to more people with much less haters/gear oriented blokes.

Cheers

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
About posting experience over DPR, I am sure DPR would love it to death as it shall create high traffic to their site! I think it might be better to share experience over YouTube because it will reach out to more people with much less haters/gear oriented blokes.

But still it would help against FF crusaders there, to have such an example of a professional coming back to M43 after all those brands.

Of course I also think that YouTube video would be even better, and if MFTmaster doesn't want to share it on DPR, I or someone else can.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
But still it would help against FF crusaders there, to have such an example of a professional coming back to M43 after all those brands.

Of course I also think that YouTube video would be even better, and if MFTmaster doesn't want to share it on DPR, I or someone else can.
I doubt though that it will change those folks minds ;-). On the other hand, there will be more of armchair expert photographers to come along then the fun begins. Beside, I am of the opinion to never need justify to someone else what I have/know/use, etc.

Anyhow, if Rick (OP) decides to do that over DPR, it would be a fun thing to read through on the bright side of thing :).

Cheers

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I doubt though that it will change those folks minds ;-). On the other hand, there will be more of armchair expert photographers to come along then the fun begins. Beside, I am of the opinion to never need justify to someone else what I have/know/use, etc.

Anyhow, if Rick (OP) decides to do that over DPR, it would be a fun thing to read through on the bright side of thing :).

Cheers

It would be an absolute pile-on.

bacil

Mu-43 Regular
I just got back to shooting mft again after several years but with a lot less budget than op. After shooting sony and fuji, now I have e-m1 version 1 and panasonic 42.5 1.7 and 25mm 1.7. Wow I forgot how small and fun shooting with mft is. But I have to fight my gas, otherwise I will soon get the oly 75mm 1.8, pl 42.5mm 1.2, and pl 25mm 1.4 I used to have and the pl 15mm. Oh well.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I just got back to shooting mft again after several years but with a lot less budget than op. After shooting sony and fuji, now I have e-m1 version 1 and panasonic 42.5 1.7 and 25mm 1.7. Wow I forgot how small and fun shooting with mft is. But I have to fight my gas, otherwise I will soon get the oly 75mm 1.8, pl 42.5mm 1.2, and pl 25mm 1.4 I used to have and the pl 15mm. Oh well.

Nice to hear. From those I'd recommend getting the PL 15mm. Other's are bigger lenses and for basic hobbyist stuff not usually needed.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I stuck with one point-and-shoot camera from 2004 for 15 years, and often I thought the camera and its 1/1.8" sensor was holding me back, and in some ways it definitely was, but I doubt that if I posted my older photos here people would be able to distinguish them from my newest photos. Ultimately, improvement and growth will have to come from within, and it's easy to forget that.

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Until the next one. The new Canon EOS 5R looks brilliant and reviews well. Plus they have a good range of lenses, especially long focus zooms and telephoto lenses..

I liked the Canon "R" except for the crop in 4K
I also liked that camera control app

I would like to write a better more in depth look at coming from all these FF cameras
not looking at each feature rather take a little more time explaining my thoughts.

As far as DPR i feel a video on Youtube would bring the haters for sure
but I wouldn't make it about what system is better.............Thats not the point of me starting this thread

I'll think about it (DPR)
Thanks

regards, Rick

Latest threads

Top Bottom