Leaving Sony, Canon and Nikon for Olympus .....Again !

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Switching formats seems like a great way to waste money.
I enjoy photography, so the fun aspect is always there regardless of the gear that I've bought. I'm sorry you only have fun with certain features.

I think a true photographer cares about the light - not the gear used to capture the light.

Wouldn't it be like a mechanic who finds joy using SnapOn tools rather than simply working on cars?
The verb should bring you joy, not the nouns.
Always your ever cheerful condescending self I see.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Switching formats seems like a great way to waste money.
I enjoy photography, so the fun aspect is always there regardless of the gear that I've bought. I'm sorry you only have fun with certain features.

I think a true photographer cares about the light - not the gear used to capture the light.

Wouldn't it be like a mechanic who finds joy using SnapOn tools rather than simply working on cars?
The verb should bring you joy, not the nouns.

Gear probably doesn't matter as much the camera companies and reviewers might want us to believe. It's easy to fall for the marketing hype, and it's easier to blame the gear than to blame ourselves. It is part of our consumption culture: always being led to believe that we have a problem that needs buying a new product to solve. Gear can be important, but knowing which to use and how to use it is even more important. When people are constantly buying new gear and switching systems, it suggests to me they have not figured it all out yet.

That said, gear isn't just a tool, gear can be fun in its own right. I won't say someone is not a true photographer just because they care about gear. I like discussing gear here too. If people get into photography because of the gear instead of vice versa, I don't think there is actually anything wrong with that.

Gear matters. But probably not as much as an understanding of composition and light. You can have the best gear in the world and take boring photos, or cheap gear and get great photos.
I always think of the story Galen Rowell had of one of his most famous photos, "Rainbow over the Potala Palace". He had an idea that the sunlight and weather might make such a photo possible, but had to make a mad run up a hillside to be in the right position when it did happen. Our gear today is way better than what he had, but most of us still wouldn't get a shot like that.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Photography reminds me a lot of golf. The gear surely helps, but it's the guy with his hands on the grip that has to use it correctly. He needs to practice a lot, plan his shots, and execute time and time again. Over the weekend, a nearly 51 year-old golfer beat the best players in the world at the PGA Championship, and no one saw it coming. Sure, he had the best gear money can buy, but so did everyone else, even all those 20-something players "in their prime." Something else made the difference.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Photography reminds me a lot of golf. The gear surely helps, but it's the guy with his hands on the grip that has to use it correctly. He needs to practice a lot, plan his shots, and execute time and time again. Over the weekend, a nearly 51 year-old golfer beat the best players in the world at the PGA Championship, and no one saw it coming. Sure, he had the best gear money can buy, but so did everyone else, even all those 20-something players "in their prime." Something else made the difference.
No different than anything else.

I'll never get any better than I am. I am lazy. I lose focus and rarely feel inspired. Meh.

s-l300.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So Thankful

Mu-43 Veteran
I am in the process of doing the same thing but for different reasons. I am coming back to Olympus due to weight mainly. I have developed some pretty bad arthritis in my hands. Holding full frame cameras and lenses all day is just no longer an option for me. I need to shave weight but yet have the body large enough that my hands don't cramp. I am going with the E-M1III and getting the wife the E-m1 II. The only lenses we need are the 12-40, 40-150, 60 macro and the 8-25 when it come available. I may get some longer glass in the future if we really start doing bird photography more.
It is good to see I am not the only one.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Then Covid-19 happened:
for the last 8 months, I have been sitting on $20,000 worth of camera equipment and wondering "What am I doing"
the "FUN" factor was gone !!
I was still making money but I wasn't having fun anymore
Same things happen to me too. But it happens before covid. The number one reason i decided to forever back to Olympus is the "FUN" factor. If we do photography with fun, the result will be far better than the usual.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
My Z5 went in on the weekend, along with 2 F mount lenses. Came back with 4 m43 mount lenses (17/1.8, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 40-150R) for my E-M5II

Debating picking up an E-M5III now, or waiting a bit and grabbing an E-M1III (I'll get the latter eventually). Be easier to decide if I could still get E-M1II's for the $1299CDN sale price.

Debating picking up an E-M5III now, or waiting a bit and grabbing an E-M1III (I'll get the latter eventually). Be easier to decide if I could still get E-M1II's for the $1299CDN sale price.
Do not make the mistake of looking into the OLED evf of the M5iii - if you do then caress the all too plasticky body to snap out of it

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Like I always say, whatever makes you happy. No one else can decide that for you. I don't care what you shoot, how much you spent on it, how heavy, or light it is, as long as you're happy with it. But please don't try & tell me what I should be happy with or why I shouldn't be happy with it.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was just a bit curious as to how he was going second time round, how much he was enjoying it etc etc, & came up empty handed. With Covid & all the drama, winter in full swing here, I haven't been very active myself, but not 6 months inactive.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Do not make the mistake of looking into the OLED evf of the M5iii - if you do then caress the all too plasticky body to snap out of it

It's actually pretty mediocre as an EVF, nicer display than the 5II, but noticeably smaller and still low-res by current standards.

if you've ever seen a Z EVF you'd be amazed at the difference. The E-M5III costs the same as a Z5 right now, but the EVF on the Z5 puts every Oly body to shame. The EVF and the touch menu implementation on the Nikon are absolutely outstanding and beat any of the Oly's hands-down. But the Oly system is more flexible for my uses because of Nikon's poor LCD articulation, general lack of good close-focus performance and large lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom