Leaving Sony, Canon and Nikon for Olympus .....Again !

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I liked the Canon "R" except for the crop in 4K
I also liked that camera control app

I would like to write a better more in depth look at coming from all these FF cameras
not looking at each feature rather take a little more time explaining my thoughts.

As far as DPR i feel a video on Youtube would bring the haters for sure
but I wouldn't make it about what system is better.............Thats not the point of me starting this thread

I'll think about it (DPR)
Thanks

regards, Rick
Yeah, all systems have their strengths. FF is great for those who can afford it, and/or stay at wide to normal focal lengths or need some of the qualities professionally.

Personally I shoot macro the most and I'm a hobbyist. M43 is the optimal sensor size for it imo, can bring up the shadows better than smaller sensors for example. Great for hand-held shooting.

On top of this there isn't just better option for me. I like having 9mm-300mm lenses with me and it's impossible in any practical weight in bigger sensor systems. And smaller ones aren't ILC's.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think Gear Acquisition Syndrome IS the Hobby. Photography is just a flavor of it. :biggrin:
I wonder sometimes if it's also about "spec acquisition". Pick your poison - cars; audio gear; TVs; camera gear; bikes; computers; etc. Many of us obsess over spec sheets and differences that matter little if at all from day-to-day. But that kind of crap makes the wheel turn, I guess, and the money flowing.

I feel like I've overcome a lot of that, after bumpy roads through audio and photo hobbies. I still occasionally start sliding down that slope with something, but I feel like I recognize it sooner and can back away. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself. :)

susannemcom

Mu-43 Regular
Welcome back to Olympus! And yours is a very inspiring story because sometimes I think about whether I *should* switch to full frame (although I don't want to because of the bulk) because I normally shoot a lot in low light, at pub gigs etc.
Glad to hear from a pro who switched back to Olympus with good results.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I’ve just ventured into FF with a Z6 + 24-70f4.0 and Z70-200 f2.8 S
Reasoning is better image quality and especially low light response as I shoot speedway in falling light levels during the motorsports season
It’s early days into using it but Im very pleased with the Nikon system and with the image quality it produces
It is heavier especially the 70-200 (about 3 - 4 times the size of a Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 equivalent) and even the body which is reasonably light for a FF camera feels more bulky especially vs an EM 1 Mk2/3 which are just a pleasure to hold in the hand and just so right in how they feel and operate
Again although it’s early days and despite the bulk and weight of the Nikon (having very recently purchased the Nikon gear) I don’t see myself reverting completely to M43
Having a more capable low light system, the versatility for shooting in a wider variety of shooting conditions and the option to achieve narrower depth of field for portraits etc with FF appeals to me
I will though continue with M43 for super-telephoto with my PL200 f2.8 and 1.4 TC (recently re purchased after selling the original TC) (this is the best M43 Lens I’ve ever had)
I still also have an Olympus 300mm f4.0 which I may keep too
If I then purchase a 1.4 TC for the Oly I would have the following options:-
70-200 + low light with the Nikon, (plus 280mm with the Nikon if I purchase a 1.4 TC ?), 200mm (400) and 280mm (560) with the PL200 + 1.4, 300mm (600mm) and 420mm (840) plus the (perhaps unlikely ?) option of 2.0 TC giving 600mm (1200) with the Oly 300
This set up would give me a superb focal range to cover all of my motorsports needs for all eventualities and tracks that I go to
This would not be possible without staying with M43 and to me the two systems will compliment each other very nicely
M43 does lots of things very well but FF (or APSC -especially Fuji) does things that M43 can’t (for my particular purposes at least)
Variety rather than exclusivity is sometimes the right answer and is for me at the moment
Im currently really looking forward to a much more productive year in 2021
After this (Covid) year I’m going to make an effort to get to as many and as varied a range of events as possible in 2021 :2thumbs:

AG-Schnozz

New to Mu-43
I never actually get rid of the old systems. That way when I have my regrets and decide to go back, I just grab a different camera (usually already loaded) and go. I'm not going to say that it's cheeper that way...

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
I was with Canon for 40 years for mostly birding and ended up with a 1dxmkII and 600 f4 mkII what brought me to Olympus was the fast silent shutter of the omd mkII along with the 300 f4 pro Canon do have it now but too late for me, then I got the EM1x very happy with it but waiting for bird detection and the 150/400 I moved to Sony a9mkII and FE 600 f4 + the tc's by far the best setup iv ever used .
So I don't have any Olympus gear BUT if the new firmware works as good as it's suppose to I will get another EM1x and the 150/400 but will keep my Sony kit

The reason is simple the Zoom range would be very handy to have for the odd bird that just keeps coming right at you I really hope bird detect AF along with the lens brings up the keeper rate close to Sony .

Rob.

"What am I doing"
the "FUN" factor was gone !!
I was still making money but I wasn't having fun anymore
This is exactly why I jumped into M43 this year. I was a Nikon APS-C shooter since 2007 though I owned a few other cameras here and there for different purposes. At one time I had a Panasonic GF2 with a Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f/1.7. I always found myself enjoying the photos from that setup when they popped up in slideshows. I bought a GF1 & GF2 with another 20mm since I sold mine years ago (super cheap to get all this now). After shooting with them and getting a few more lenses I sold all my Nikon gear and bought a Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II too. The Nikon gear just wasn’t doing anything the M43 couldn’t do for me at a smaller size and weight.

The biggest factor was that I just wasn’t having fun with the Nikon gear any more. I hated carrying it. Even before I switched to M43 the only camera I used regulary was my Nikon Coolpix A, a point & shoot with an APS-C sensor. It was small, easy to carry, and fun to use. I still have it.

Last edited:

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
Well the bird detect looks to be quite good so I have bought a EM1X and the OLY 100 / 400 looing forward to this setup if it works half as good as iv'e seen that would be nice.

and just as I write this it's here :)

Rob.

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
Em1x bird detect test,
So the sun came out today I set my camera up the way I had it a year or so ago to get something to compare I used the 100/400 mostly at 400mm 1/3200 to 1/4000 sec f6.3 iso 800 sensitivity at +2 block of 25 focus points C-AF
over all it was quite good with plenty of sharp shots along with some soft shots and some that were not in focus so about the same as i was getting a year or so ago

Then with the same settings but bird detect selected I had another go it might have been a little better but not by much for this first go, it would find the bird with the white box amazingly fast then put the green box on the bird but it also lost it now and then - then your trying to pick it up again and by then it's just about gone you feel like your playing catch up ( at least with a block of 25 and C-AF you know you need to put the bird in the centre ) and need the white box to find the bird to then put the green box on it so your working again, it is a split second but it disorientates you

It was my first go perhaps I need to learn a bit more what it's doing at least it does work quite well .

Birds in a tree or on a roof well I can't fault that it finds it right a way then goes for the head just about every time A pidion was what i tested it on .

Tracking sensitivity has no effect on C-AF + Tracking it only works on C-AF just in case anyone is trying that

Just my first thoughts.
Rob.

Hi All
You may remember me as using Olympus for many years
but then about 3 years ago I sold my Olympus kit to jump into Full Frame
I had purchased the newer Nikon"Z" system and bought into Canon and then gravitated towards sony (eventually buying the Sony a7SIII)
Over $20,000 later I found myself lusting over Full Frame and purchasing many lenses and lighting equipment

Then Covid-19 happened:
for the last 8 months, I have been sitting on $20,000 worth of camera equipment and wondering "What am I doing"
the "FUN" factor was gone !!
I was still making money but I wasn't having fun anymore

So I woke up one morning, Gathered all my FF camera equipment up, and went to my local camera store.
When I walked into the store (It took two employees to help me carry every into the store) and they were so amazed that I was selling so many systems and lens (Canon, sony & Nikon)
I told them the same story, that I just wasn't having fun with any of these systems.......

View attachment 859501

Long story short, they wrote me a couple of checks and I ordered the Olympus EM1 MKIII and a couple of lenses

I am so happy with my new purchase
Olympus is the most innovative system made to date with Live comp, 15 FPS, 230 Bitrate in 4CK and so much more.........

I have learned a valuable lesson;
All the Sony, Canon & Nikon"SHILLS" on youtube can Kiss my ass
I am done lusting over things that really don't matter like:
Full Frame, Low Light, 600-bit rate, and all the things that the "SHILLS" talk about that in the real world just don't matter
I have made TV commercials, Youtube commercials, bar and restaurant video for Instagram and youtube and so much more
And I could have done it all with the Olympus System for 1/5th the price and weight...

So here I stand before this community with zero regrets
it was a learning process I had to go thru (I guess) to realize that Olympus offers everything I'll ever needed in a much smaller less expensive package and the best thing is.................The fun factor is back

Best regards, Rick
Welcome back Rick, I too have dabbled with the FF. I'm curious, if you mainly shoot 35mm, 50mm, 85mm equivalent what about the FF systems made this unenjoyable? the 1.8's in those FL are similar in weight/size to the Oly 1.2's.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom