Leaving Sony, Canon and Nikon for Olympus .....Again !

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It looks like that check should cover the E-M1iii and 150-400 f4.5, and still leave you some change. Just saying....:whistling:

....plunging him back into 'need' vs 'want' territory.

I have a degree of expertise in the subject, along with three f1.2 primes and a 7-14mm f2.8 that I just cannot bear to part with, just in case.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I started out by selling all my OLY Kit because I was mad at OLY

Regards, Rick
Face: Hey! Nose! Weren't you on me a few minutes ago?

Nose: Yeah face, but you cut me off out of spite!

Quite the costly journey. I am on one too, but mine is much less expensive and it doesn't include getting rid of my G9 or my Leica glass. It's more of a backroad journey than shooting down the highway at breakneck speed.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow MFTmaster, you seem to take this all very well. Tough to see many going back after such an investment. It's weird as you don't even seem to shoot the long-teles or macro.

With M43 we can often hear about the "fun factor", and while I don't personally have any comparison points, I think its very fun system to shoot with. Part of it is the IBIS, size & crop factor that doesn't give too thin DoF.

How about putting this same information on DPR forum? :biggrin: Do you have the energy for it? Would be good to give different kind of perspective there to show that M43 is still a very good system, no matter what the haters repeat over and over.

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
How about putting this same information on DPR forum? :biggrin: Do you have the energy for it? Would be good to give different kind of perspective there to show that M43 is still a very good system, no matter what the haters repeat over and over.
I had bought the 24-70 and the 70-200 both f2.8 for Sony and Nikon
along with the 2X teleconverter but they just sat on a shelf and now all sold
I mainly shoot product photography and really only need a 50 and 85mm equivalent
For video, I was using a 16mm and 24mm for all my FF videos for clients
Gimbal I just bought the new DJI RS2 with tracking and it's awesome
better than all the tracking on any camera
I have a video on it here

)

I plan on doing a video bout how I came full circle back to MFT on my youtube channel
Stick around and ill put a link in a week or so in this thread :thumbup:

thanks for your comments
Regards, rick

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There is a blatant inaccuracy in your video.

55 is NOT old.
Has anyone counted how many "Rick's" are in this forum? I have seen many. I'm basically Rick myself in English.

A group photo of some of Mu-43 members. (It's from Rick & Morty.)

01-screen%20shot%202017-09-12%20at%2011.40.25%20am.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I started out by selling all my OLY Kit because I was mad at OLY
I was expecting something super amazing in 2017 when they announced the "EMX"
but instead, we received a super large body with very little upgrades in the video department (I was doing more video work)
So I sold my OLY kit $5000 and bought into NIKON "Z"
But I wasn't happy with NIKON (It wasn't filling a void in my soul) so then I bought into the hYPE of the Canon "R" New lenses and new features
So I bought a Canon. Then Sony came along with their 60 MEGAPIXEL A7R IV and I had to have one.
I do love sony for their fast EYE-AF but the video files are huge,.........

Anyways I just got Sucked into all the hype surrounding these cameras and also have a youtube channel
so I started reviewing all these cameras (That part was fun) SEE LINK IN SIG BELOW

Yes I had to build the TOP TIER Computer to handle 4CK 120fps at 600 bit
Also bought into the NINJA V and had Humongous files...........and for what?...............Youtube.................haha
That's the funny thing is Youtube compresses all of our files down to nothing so it
really doesn't matter what quality you shoot in

Regards, Rick
Thank you, Rick, for the detailed explanation. There is a logic in it, but a lot of money lost as well 🙁

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
It's easy to fall into the rabbit holes with any hobby.
I avoid that problem by not having money. That's why divorce was so rare in the past — people couldn't afford to leave each other!

As a software development consultant, I "flipped" things relatively more often. So I decided to do fine art photography professionally, in an effort to control my GAS.

That worked pretty good, but as an artist, I still managed to make too much money, so I took up farming instead. NOW I can say it's unlikely I'll be flipping anything more than a coin, to see whether I should milk goats first, or take care of chickens first.

Not having the resources to flip systems gives new meaning to, "Pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"

Last edited:
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I might get the 8mm Fisheye for fun and stick it on a Pen-F
If you've got a Pen F and want to do fisheye, why not go for the ultimate?

I have both the Meike and Laowa circular fisheyes, and they really force me to think differently. I've become adept at keeping fingers and toes out of the shot, but the grip of the E-M1.2 is in every shot, which shouldn't be a problem with the Pen F.

As a non-flipper, one thing I do to keep interest up is to acquire inexpensive goodies (like those ~$150 circular fisheyes) for inspiration, and because µ4/3rds is so easily adapted, I've taken up collecting world-class lenses of the past. You can pick up 4/3rds SHG glass for pennies on the dollar, and they really are spectacular!

Real Name
Roddy
I have both the Meike and Laowa circular fisheyes, and they really force me to think differently. I've become adept at keeping fingers and toes out of the shot, but the grip of the E-M1.2 is in every shot, which shouldn't be a problem with the Pen F.
You need a tiny helping hand. A wooden dowel, cut short, with the appropriate bolt inserted for the tripod mount. Works just fine, though to be fair I use an old skipping-rope handle that I then cut to size. Makes holding small cameras such as the GM5 an absolute joy.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Thank you, Rick, for the detailed explanation. There is a logic in it, but a lot of money lost as well 🙁
You are correct I lost about 1/2 of what I paid for everything

I am fortunate to be able to make a mistake like this and not feel bad about it
I am one to not look back or have regrets. Lifes too short and happiness and family is everything to me.

This COVID-19 has really had me in a depressed mood over the last 8 or 10 months (As it has to all)
When I made my last purchase of the Sony a7S III I thought it was making me happy but I woke up one day 2 weeks ago and
said to myself "I'm not happy at all"
I think that was a big eye-opener for me and made me remember how happy and fun my life was with Olympus

I pray that JIP will continue to make Olympus products or at least make a NEW PEN-F :dance4:

best regards, Rick

Last edited:

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
You are correct I lost about 1/2 of what I paid for everything

I am fortunate to be able to make a mistake like this and not feel bad about it
I am one to not look back or have regrets. Lifes too short and happiness and family is everything to me.

This COVID-19 has really had me in a depressed mood over the last 8 or 10 months (As it has to all)
When I made my last purchase of the Sony a7S III I thought it was making me happy but I woke up one day 2 weeks ago and
said to myself "I'm not happy at all"
I think that was a big eye-opener for me and made me remember how happy and fun my life was with Olympus

I pray that JIP will continue to make Olympus products or at least make a NEW PEN-F :dance4:

best regards, Rick
Won’t hold my hopes up with the new Pen-F.
Love my silver Pen-F though.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Congrats Rick on following what makes you happy in photography, that is more important then the $ spent. Since you sold it all, did this also mean the Sony A7SIII and the Seafrog underwater housing? You mentioned in the video you have a trip planned to the Caribbean in February and planned on using this. So did you keep it or are you looking for a underwater housing for your EM1.3?

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't mention Fuji to me.
Yesterday I got an email from them saying that my six year old Xf1 is not repairable as parts are no longer available.
Very disappointing that a premium brand like Fuji doesn't support its products longer than that. Glad I didn't spend £1000 on an X100.
you can buy that camera used in the US for maybe $150. I can't imagine a repair being worth it, unless you're talking a battery compartment door or the like. I recall Fuji standing behind X100 and sticky aperture blades in a big way. They earned my trust then, and I haven't experienced nor heard anything to make me think differently. Until this XF1 scandal.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Threads such as these are always encouraging to stay committed to what I have. Sometimes GAS is so great that we seek something different just for the sake of it. I'm not saying that's what OP did by any means, but rather that when people come back to M43, it reinforces the notion for me to not always look for different grass--I should be out photographing it instead!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom