Leaving Sony, Canon and Nikon for Olympus .....Again !

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Hi All
You may remember me as using Olympus for many years
but then about 3 years ago I sold my Olympus kit to jump into Full Frame
I had purchased the newer Nikon"Z" system and bought into Canon and then gravitated towards sony (eventually buying the Sony a7SIII)
Over $20,000 later I found myself lusting over Full Frame and purchasing many lenses and lighting equipment

Then Covid-19 happened:
for the last 8 months, I have been sitting on $20,000 worth of camera equipment and wondering "What am I doing"
the "FUN" factor was gone !!
I was still making money but I wasn't having fun anymore

So I woke up one morning, Gathered all my FF camera equipment up, and went to my local camera store.
When I walked into the store (It took two employees to help me carry every into the store) and they were so amazed that I was selling so many systems and lens (Canon, sony & Nikon)
I told them the same story, that I just wasn't having fun with any of these systems.......

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Long story short, they wrote me a couple of checks and I ordered the Olympus EM1 MKIII and a couple of lenses

I am so happy with my new purchase
Olympus is the most innovative system made to date with Live comp, 15 FPS, 230 Bitrate in 4CK and so much more.........

I have learned a valuable lesson;
All the Sony, Canon & Nikon"SHILLS" on youtube can Kiss my ass
I am done lusting over things that really don't matter like:
Full Frame, Low Light, 600-bit rate, and all the things that the "SHILLS" talk about that in the real world just don't matter
I have made TV commercials, Youtube commercials, bar and restaurant video for Instagram and youtube and so much more
And I could have done it all with the Olympus System for 1/5th the price and weight...

So here I stand before this community with zero regrets
it was a learning process I had to go thru (I guess) to realize that Olympus offers everything I'll ever needed in a much smaller less expensive package and the best thing is.................The fun factor is back

Best regards, Rick

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Shills do suck... Olympus is the most innovative system made to date with Live comp, 15 FPS, 230 Bitrate in 4CK and so much more.........

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Thank you all for the kind words <3

Good for you, Rick. :Welcome: back.

Sorry to hear of your journey around that (expensive) circuit. I have seen quite a number do as you have, and have always felt sorry for them being misled by others for the reasons you mentioned.

Which lenses did you choose?
For now, I picked the 12-100mm for family functions & holidays
The 17, 25 & 45mm F1.2 for video, product, food, and portrait work

I might get the 8mm Fisheye for fun and stick it on a Pen-F

Best regards, Rick

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@MFTmaster welcome back.

Hope you got opportunity to tell how the 12-100 feels on vacation sometime in the future.
I’m drooling for that lens for that specific purpose.
Kind of fed up with 12-40 and 40-150 on every weekend-trip / holiday-trip we go to. :)

Real Name
Richard
Don't mention Fuji to me.
Yesterday I got an email from them saying that my six year old Xf1 is not repairable as parts are no longer available.
Very disappointing that a premium brand like Fuji doesn't support its products longer than that. Glad I didn't spend £1000 on an X100.

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
amazing turn around!
after your FF foray that 12-100 must feel quite normal in size...
thoughts on Fuji?
Yes to say the least........
As far as fuji goes, I've just never been a Fuji guy
Their camera body falls short of being ergonomic to hold and feeling professional
so I think that's why I never liked them

the Nikon "Z" system was the closest camera I had found to feeling good in the hand Like Olympus
until sony released their a7R IV and a7S III finally with bigger grips
Canon, on the other hand, has huge grips usually to big for most people

Best regards, Rick

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@MFTmaster welcome back.

Hope you got opportunity to tell how the 12-100 feels on vacation sometime in the future.
I’m drooling for that lens for that specific purpose.
Kind of fed up with 12-40 and 40-150 on every weekend-trip / holiday-trip we go to. :)
My 12-100 almost never leaves my E-M1 MkII.

Mostly, my E-M1 MkI has become my ILC ...

The 12-100 is as versatile as that, and as good as that.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
The thing with the 12-100 (as I've learned since borrowing one which has since been agreed will remain with me permanently) is that unless you are out to shoot something very specific, you are more or less covered for everything the day can throw at you with one lens.

I sometimes wonder about other systems, but when I compare say an 80mp hi-res with the standard resolution version, it may well be twice as sharp, but that never equates to an image which is twice as good and just takes ten times longer to edit.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Welcome back.

Been there, done that too...never looked back since i sold off all my FF/APS-C gear and comitted to m43.

Real Name
Roddy
The thing with the 12-100 (as I've learned since borrowing one which has since been agreed will remain with me permanently) is that unless you are out to shoot something very specific, you are more or less covered for everything the day can throw at you with one lens.

I sometimes wonder about other systems, but when I compare say an 80mp hi-res with the standard resolution version, it may well be twice as sharp, but that never equates to an image which is twice as good and just takes ten times longer to edit.
And that's before one considers the computer side of things. I can't afford a new system AND the hardware and software upgrades I would need to edit the new files with. And just as you say, Richard, I just wouldn't have the time, either. That's the reason I shoot JPEG now, really - lack of computer goodies and little time to play with stuff anyway. Buying a FF system would do absolutely nothing to change that! :)

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Quite a journey. Welcome back!
Why three FF systems? FF Nikon, Canon and Sony is a bit extreme.
I started out by selling all my OLY Kit because I was mad at OLY
I was expecting something super amazing in 2017 when they announced the "EMX"
but instead, we received a super large body with very little upgrades in the video department (I was doing more video work)
So I sold my OLY kit $5000 and bought into NIKON "Z"
But I wasn't happy with NIKON (It wasn't filling a void in my soul) so then I bought into the hYPE of the Canon "R" New lenses and new features
So I bought a Canon. Then Sony came along with their 60 MEGAPIXEL A7R IV and I had to have one.
I do love sony for their fast EYE-AF but the video files are huge,.........

Anyways I just got Sucked into all the hype surrounding these cameras and also have a youtube channel
so I started reviewing all these cameras (That part was fun) SEE LINK IN SIG BELOW

And that's before one considers the computer side of things. I can't afford a new system AND the hardware and software upgrades I would need to edit the new files with. And just as you say, Richard, I just wouldn't have the time, either. That's the reason I shoot JPEG now, really - lack of computer goodies and little time to play with stuff anyway. Buying a FF system would do absolutely nothing to change that! :)
Yes I had to build the TOP TIER Computer to handle 4CK 120fps at 600 bit
Also bought into the NINJA V and had Humongous files...........and for what?...............Youtube.................haha
That's the funny thing is Youtube compresses all of our files down to nothing so it
really doesn't matter what quality you shoot in

Regards, Rick

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom