Leave your computer and get your pictures printed!!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, May 2, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So I've been shooting rather seriously for nearly 10 years (and been shooting since I was 8 years old)...I have hundreds of thousands of photos on my hard drives, my photos have graced the covers and pages of countless magazines and newspapers, my prints have sold all over the world, my wedding photos have been made into calendars and have outlasted the marriages they captured (sad, but true).

The one thing I haven't done...is print my own photos. Incredible, isn't it? I play with them, I post them up on forums, host them, share them online with my friends and family, but never got around to printing them for fun.

Well, all that changed this week...I've printed ten 10x15s (mostly out of my Olympus) and I absolutely love them. I've hung up some in my home and will put some up at work. It's so awesome seeing my own work on the wall, sharing it with others and having them trigger the memories of the places and everything associated with them every time I look at them.

So...I have vowed to print..a lot. And I think you should too...oh, and print big...anything less than 8x10 should be left for your passport. ;)

Have a wonderful day, everyone! :)
    T

• Like Like x 6
  2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I also printed my own work for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I now have an arrangement of 6 13x19" images on the wall in frames. Great fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm in the same boat! Yes, I'll do it!

:idea:

• Like Like x 1
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Betcha it makes you smile inside every time you look at it!! :)

Sweet!!! Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun! :)

5. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Well yeah, especially because they're pix of my grandchildren.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This might sound silly, but I picked a couple film cameras to force myself to print pictures. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's not silly at all! What kind of cameras did you pick up?

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Printed photos of the grandkids are what keeps me in good with the Princess of the Exchequer when I buy photo gear :biggrin:. The larger 8x10's I print for me, but the 'refrigerator prints' are for her and my entrance into the Amazon and B&H shopping carts...

I don't print a ton - limited display space and shallow pockets - but I print enough to have fresh prints on the walls.

I've made the segue from film to digital - but I still prefer to look at prints rather than screen views.

Regards,

Jim

9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Yeah, sometimes we post so many photos to facebook and the likes that we conveniently forgot to print a few, put them in frames, and hang on our walls.

What printers do you guys use? Or do you send to the lab?

• Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I just printed a few from the last couple of weekends i was out street shooting. It was also a test of how well the OMD EM5 would fair. I have to admit that the 8x10 images I had done from that camera are very good indeed. They were from a variety of lenses, Oly 12-50, 17 & 45/1.8 primes. All will be proudly displayed on the walls of my home.

I agree that it is very satisfying to see your work in print.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I've been tempted to get one of the excellent Epson printers but have been able to hold off the G.A.S. :biggrin:.

I use a (now discontinued and lamentably named) Kodak Hero 7 inkjet. Like most smaller printers it has one cartridge for black, one for color, not a separate cartridge for each color. On the upside, the ink is relatively inexpensive and the prints are "good enough" for our purposes.

(In fairness to Kodak, it does give halfway decent prints if you don't need anything larger than 8x10. However I'm looking forward to the day when it breaks and I can replace it with something...better named :thumbup: ).

It would be cheaper to send to Costco, but it's more fun to print at home - and there's the satisfaction of being able to print on demand.

Last fall I decided to concentrate on a single post processing software (I have tended to buy the latest/greatest from several vendors without actually taking the time to really learn any of them). I settled on Elements 12 and use that in conjunction with the Kodak to handle the home printing. I considered LightRoom (I have LR4) but I just don't process enough shots to justify learning it right now.

I don't have a Facebook account and closed my Flickr account some time back - I don't often share my photos since I shoot to please myself (and, of course, the Princess of the Exchequer :biggrin:).

But printing at home is fun even with the lower end printer. Perhaps next winter (I'm not an inclement weather shooter) I'll replace the Kodak and spend time learning how to improve my prints :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim

12. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    There's a great deal on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 Printer right now on Amazon and a couple other places.
    It's an 8-color 13x19 dye printer that does absolutely exquisite prints.
    If you buy a 50 sheet box of Canon paper with it, the total (after the rebate) is about $140, which is little more than the cost of a new set of inks. So essentially the printer and the paper is free.
    It's also free shipping with Amazon Prime, if you have that.
    BUT, of course, first you have to outlay the $400 or so for the printer and $50 for the paper, until you get the rebate, so that's a big fly in the ointment.
    I sprang for it and the printer got here this week. My very first print out of it (I was practicing on 8x10) was perfect and I haven't made a bad print yet. Easy set-up, easy to work.
    I recommend it if you have the funds and want to get into larger format printing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Funny I went from one extreme to the other, like the OP I previously shared them electronically, had website with plenty on it and frequently updated, then stopped... Bought an A3 printer (epson 1410) and framing tools and now I print and frame the best shots and no longer have a website or bother hardly ever posting anything online..

Actually bought some A3+ paper the other day to do some even bigger prints ;-)

I prefer printing at home as can do 6x4 samples and get it looking just right before a larger print that I know will look how I want it..

• Like Like x 1
  14. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    I print anything successfully captured via commercial printers in the uk.
    Strangely enough my size of choice for sport at least is 8x6
    I can upload to various online printers and get a. 8x6 print for just £0.29pence
    This size is economical and is well received when handed out to soccer mums and dads foc
    Portraits and family stuff I might go to 8x10 but a 8x10 strangely costs 5 times as much as a 8x6.
    These are just average machine prints. I get caught out by colour casts from time to time and skin tones can be problematic. Until recently I was shooting with G 1 bodies but very recently aquired a EM10 which is a significient improvement at this early stage
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  15. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I print all the time...the house is full of them...More so than what I've got online..

Mainly on my Canon Pro9000 with quality paper in A3+ sizes and mounted on board. Also quite a few on canvas...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Stephen, you're not helping my resistance to Gear Acquisition Syndrome one little bit :biggrin:.

I suppose I should wander over to Amazon...just to check it out, of course - absolutely no desire to order anything...:rolleyes:.

Regards,

Jim

17. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Sorry, Jim, got a bad case myself recently - must be catching. :redface:
    I'm sitting here right now surrounded by an LX5, a GH2, a GX7, an E-M5, a D7000 and a D600.
    Plus lenses too numerous (and too embarrassing) to mention.
    I've got the GX7 up for sale with several others soon to follow, along with many lenses.
    Trying to cultivate GDS (Gear Divestment Sales).

As to the printer - it's a really nice printer - continues to give me beautiful prints, one after another.
    An interesting side-effect - I'm going back through years of files looking for stuff to print -
    and I find it's helping me to make the decisions to dump files (which I've always had trouble with).
    - Would I ever bother to print that? - Nope? - Trash-it!

I mean my pretentions-to-art stuff of course, not friends and family snaps.
    And it's fun finding nice shots you forgot about, playing with them in post and then seeing what the print looks like.
    I'm still doing 8x10's for economy sake until I get competent with the printer and find images worth printing larger.

@Jean-Paul - would you mind sharing how you are mounting your prints?
    My friend and I are debating about the best way to display prints without going broke doing it.
    Boy, if you thought photography was expensive, check out framing!

I found out about the printer deal in another thread here, so happy to pass along the info.

Aloha,
    Stephen

• Like Like x 3
  18. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've been getting them printed at the local department store. They have a Fuji lab, and they're charging $3 per 10x15...really can't beat that! :D

19. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I just got a Canon PRO-100 on the special deal, so I'm printing with that. If I need a bunch of 4x6 to send to Mom (she's 92 and doesn't do Internet), I use Adoramapix or Mpix. It's both easier and cheaper than printing 25 images myself, and she can't see that well anymore, anyway.

I bought a bunch of frames at AI Friedman: http://www.aifriedman.com/index.htm

They have a pretty good selection at what appear to me to be reasonable prices for the quality you get.

I bought these mats on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GWP72A/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like Like x 2
  20. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

$98 at B&H with free 50 sheets of 13*x19 papers. After rebate of course. I've heard a lot about the Canon Pro 100.

It was at some point in March went for as low as $25 w/ free papers. I am waiting for a similar deal to come back so I can grab one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

• Like Like x 1