1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Leather Skin Peeling Problem

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vnnie, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    I have a fairly new (about a month old) Aki-Asahi leather skin on my E-P3 that is beginning to peel on one edge. It is only peeling about 1/16" or less. The photo makes it look bigger but I'm afraid it will continue to get worse. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on how I should fix it? Glue? Double-sided tape?

IMG_4113c.JPG

2. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    My idea would be to get behind the peeling with a cotton swab with a iitte rubbing alcohol, or a Zeiss wipe to get rid of any oils or dirt. Let the spot dry a bit. Then use a hair dryer if you have one, heat up the spot, not too hot though. This should reactivate the gule enough to stick back into place. I haven't had to try this, but this is how you remove a skin. I probably would not use glue or tape.
    If all else fails try writing Aki-Asahi and ask them, they may have a fix for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Before seeing what your true problem was I was thinking "you need some lotion and maybe cortizone".

Try what Msteckle recommends and if that doesn't work then add a tiny drop of shoe goo with a tooth pick. It is a vinyl based glue that should work really well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    I tried double sided tape (Duck brand) before anyone replied and it didn't work. I'll try rubbing alcohol and heat and report back.

Sent from my XT907 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    I cleaned the sticky side of the exposed part of the skin and the underlying camera body with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol, heated that part of the skin with a heat gun, and pressed the skin back down. I gave it another quick shot of heat and pressed down on the skin again for good measure. It's been three days and it's still holding well.

If anything changes I'll post an update.

Thanks Mstoeckle for the idea!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    Glue hates oil and dirt, but it loves heat and nice clean surfaces! :smile:

7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    If it were me I would start by contacting the manufacturer.