Leather Lens Cases

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mijo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I decided to make leather cases for all my lenses, leather crafting is my other hobby. I used 10-12 oz latigo leather, which is not the correct leather for making wet formed cases, as that's all I had on hand. The cases are all hand sewn with 7 cord waxed linen, using a traditional saddle stitch.

from back and left to right the cases are for the following lenses; PL45, 17.5 f.95, 12-50, 75, 100-300, PL25, 12, 20, 8, 14-42X. I stamped the top of each lens case for easy identification.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Nifty. That looks like excellent work. Oddly, I have no skills that don't involve the extensive use of credit cards.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Excellent work. What did you do for padding on the inside?
  4. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    They look great! Do they add much weight to your kit?
  5. multicamo

multicamo New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2012
    Those look great!!
  6. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    All the cases are lined with the same leather only I split the thickness by roughly half. Unfortunately b/c of the overall thickness of the cases they are too heavy to be used for travel, I use them for home storage only. When I travel I use a crumpler haven for three lenses, which conserves space and weight.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Looks like a lot of work but well worth the effort. Nice way to combine two hobbies. :thumbup:
  8. fishugo

fishugo New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2014

your cases are first rate ! would you consider making about a half dozen identical ones for me? I make fly fishing reels.
  9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Those look great! Nice work!
  10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    where can I buy them and how much? Beautiful work. I store my lenses at home in the older vintage leather snap cases and they are getting harder and harder to find. These are wonderful.