Leather Lens Cases

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mijo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I decided to make leather cases for all my lenses, leather crafting is my other hobby. I used 10-12 oz latigo leather, which is not the correct leather for making wet formed cases, as that's all I had on hand. The cases are all hand sewn with 7 cord waxed linen, using a traditional saddle stitch.

from back and left to right the cases are for the following lenses; PL45, 17.5 f.95, 12-50, 75, 100-300, PL25, 12, 20, 8, 14-42X. I stamped the top of each lens case for easy identification.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nifty. That looks like excellent work. Oddly, I have no skills that don't involve the extensive use of credit cards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Excellent work. What did you do for padding on the inside?

4. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    They look great! Do they add much weight to your kit?

5. multicamo

multicamo New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2012
    Those look great!!

6. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    All the cases are lined with the same leather only I split the thickness by roughly half. Unfortunately b/c of the overall thickness of the cases they are too heavy to be used for travel, I use them for home storage only. When I travel I use a crumpler haven for three lenses, which conserves space and weight.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Looks like a lot of work but well worth the effort. Nice way to combine two hobbies. :thumbup:

8. fishugo

fishugo New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2014

your cases are first rate ! would you consider making about a half dozen identical ones for me? I make fly fishing reels.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Those look great! Nice work!

10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    where can I buy them and how much? Beautiful work. I store my lenses at home in the older vintage leather snap cases and they are getting harder and harder to find. These are wonderful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.