1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Learning video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by GFFPhoto, May 9, 2014.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hey guys, I want to learn more about video, both the in camera settings (codecs, frame rate, shooting modes etc.), and the post processing. Right now I've picked up stuff here and there, but I'm sure there are some big gaps in my knowledge, so even basic resources would be appreciated. Im shooting with a GX7, and currently I'm grading the footage in LR with VSCO presets and assembling them in iMovie (I'm just using what I already have, but I'll likely buy Final Cut X. I would prefer to avoid an Adobe subscription). I'm sure I have a lot to learn so If you know of any good online resources, guides, websites, etc. to help get me up to speed, I would appreciate it.

I know EOS HD has a pretty comprehensive GH3 guide, and some of that will be applicable to the GX7. Is that worth the $20 they charge if I shoot a GX7 (if I choose to upgrade, I'll likely skip the GH3 and go right to the 4)?

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Learningdslrvideo.com
    Indy Mogul
    Film Riot
    Vimeos film school
    They are all great.

There are plenty of free guides to using the gh2 and gh3 which pretty much apply to the gx7 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks Lobbamobba, I knew I could count on you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You should consider getting Adobe Premier Elements 11 or 12 for Mac. The program comes on a DVD you can buy on ebay for $30-60. It's a huge step up from iMovie in terms of editing options and capabilities, but is not as capable the expensive programs like Adobe Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro.

Then for another $25 or so take the lynda.com online course for Premier Elements 11 or 12. The Lynda courses do alot of step by step hand holding which makes them great for a beginner who finds abbreviated procedures at Learningdslrvideo.com too complicated and geekish to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Lots of YouTube videos to help too

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How are you set up for sound? It has been said that movies are 2/3 sound{I disagree with the proportion but it is very important}. The GX7 doesn't have a mic port{one thing that disappointed me when it came out}. So to get really good sound you will need an external recorder and sync in post. Also make sure to get decent mics with wind shields. Of coarse if you are going to add music in post then just turn off the internal mics and concentrate on shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks, for now I'm just doing montages with music. I still can't decide how much time and effort I want to put into learning video. Theres just not enough time for everything :frown:...

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I really found the Stillmotion videos at Vimeo quite helpful, especially their storytelling series.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hear you! I just bought a vinyl cutting machine and had it for four days but haven't had the time to play with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Cheapest way to get good audio imo is a Zoom H1 and synk in post. They key is always to get the mic as close as possible, so having an input won't do you any good if you have the mic in the hot shoe :)

I just bought a Sony Nex-5 (yes I know, how could I when the G6 is almost for free). Well I have many cameras and this is going to be my vlog camera.
    Anyway I took it and a couple of other bits and peaces that together totals to 300 dollars with me on a walk with the dog.
    We stopped for an hour to see if that low budget kit would be enough to get some cinematic groove going :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHkS30yGGI

• Like Like x 2
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Nice video. How are you stabilizing the camera on your walk? Also, I hope this isn't a stupid question, I'm still learning. The GX7 doesn't have a time code. Don't you need one to sync externally recorded sound?

12. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I use a tripod and sometimes I use the same tripod as a shoulder rigg or stabilizer.
    There are no stupid questions, no you dont need a time code all you need is to clap synk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvTFbbWL5w&sns=em

• Like Like x 1
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks, I need to find a good light tripod or monopod.

14. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Vimeo Film School???? Oooh didn't know that one

15. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Final Cut Pro will let you synch the in camera audio to the external recorder and then delete the in camera audio track as will iMovie by trial n error or automate it using Red Giants Pluraleyes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hey guys, I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I've already filled in some gaps in my knowledge I didn't know I had, and have been learning a lot! I hope this thread is useful to others as well, and please keep the suggestions coming. :2thumbs:

17. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    I too started to learn more on video a couple months ago and got a G6. I also got a Zoom H1. I use PowerDirector and found their multicam sync is quite good, as long as doing some claps before hand.

I found "the frugal film maker" has some good tips to build your own rigs. I followed his "frugal stabilizer ii" and built one my own.

To make the footage a little more dynamic, I got a Glidegear the shortest slide. I quite like it but need to practice more when sliding.

Happy shooting :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Popit j using a "skate" and a folding table as a " slider" seen slider skates on eBay for $15 or so. Check out Robert Rodriguez's 10 minute film school videos and of course Film Riot who having an $18000 in prizes give awY for their 5th birthday

• Like Like x 1
  19. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    I have the same tripod (in black) :2thumbs: Thanks for the tip.

20. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Now Im no super expert but I know a thing or two about video. And if there is anything you want me to show or test it would be much appreciated as it gives me content for a blog I just started (have only made two episodes so far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVfYtphTfs

• Like Like x 1