Learning to use the 45-200

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Maczero, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I have been trying to improve my telephoto photography, as well as learning how to use the Lumix 45-200 on my GF1. My current technique is to use shutter priority. I set the shutter speed that I think I need to eliminate camera shake (although I'm not really allowing for the OIS system and there is probably a bit of fudge here) and then adjust the ISO up as necessary to ensure that I can at least achieve the minimum aperture for the focal length (preferably with some leeway to stop down a bit).

The lens works as a pretty decent macro, even at a 1m stand-off.

Here is a shot from yesterday showing the a bee just loving the honeysuckle in the garden:

[​IMG]

I am pleased with how sharp this image is. I have been trying to achieve this for ages with an E-520 and 70-300. The GF1 nailed it first time. This is an almost default development from Raw in Aperture 3, BTW.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Fascinating lens. From what I read it has some strong limitations, but when used with those in mind, it can produce some great opportunities. Nice shot. Imagine a similar one against a flower that's any colour but yellow...

Thanks for posting.