1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Learning Street

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ssgreenley, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I recently moved to DC and bought a house. Most of my photography was travel photography back when I was jet setting, but now that money goes to the mortgage. I'd like to start getting into street photography now, as it seems the most interesting, convenient, and, frankly, affordable genre of photography currently available to me.

Does anyone know any good books, websites, or other resources to help me learn this new niche?

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Street photography is the one genre you really can't learn from a book.
    Most of the time neither exposure nor framing are as good as they could be and yet the photo might work magic.
    It's all about timing and having the guts to point the camera at something, or rather someone, interesting.
    You can improve your odds by being in a good spot and waiting for someone to come by to complete the shot, but I would call this borderline street photography. Nothing wrong with it, though.
    Even more than in any other type of photography, the more you shoot the more keepers you will have (as you will produce so much more garbage...) .
    Rudy

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    there is a sub forum on this forum with a lot of great street threads

Street, Documentary, and Portrait - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

and the author of this thread

https://www.mu-43.com/f57/ask-me-any-question-about-street-photography-41122/

had a link posted to his PDF on his approach to street that was pretty damn good...

http://www.thomasleuthard.com/Book/GoingCandid.pdf

bottom line though is you have to go out and do it.... again and again and again and again.. and you will still probably only average one good shot in a 100, 1000 until you get actually not bad

:)

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There are a couple of other free resources linked in this thread. The other great way to develop your "eye" if you're stuck indoors is just to study the work of street photogs you admire (some suggestions to get you started: Henri Cartier-Bresson, Garry Winograd and many more).

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Same as with New Orleans street photography don't look prosperous.

6. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
  7. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Erik Kim, lots of help on his site.

• Like Like x 1
  8. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Umm, not sure about New Orleans but DC has a LOT of opportunities for street photography. I am out almost every weekend and I come back with a new experience every time. Plus, the street photography community in DC is quite active. For example, check this collective called STRATA:

STRATA | Street Photography Collective

One of my favorite photos ever was shot in DC by Aziz (part of the STRATA collective):

Gallery Place, DC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!