1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Leaked Photos of New GM1 and 12-32mm Compact Zoom via Digicame Info

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    10/16 Update: Clearer images now leaked, again by Digicame Info:

10312473794_8ea6a1db34_o.

10312675303_ce75fb83a7_o.

-----

The Japanese site Digicame Info leaked photos of what looks to be the rumored GM1 and 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 lens:

10300163656_9162a8b883_o.

10300152515_9cd0baf5ec_o.

With APS-C and 35mm full frame cameras and lenses getting smaller and smaller, it's important for Micro Four Thirds to maintain an edge in providing more compact possibilities than the larger formats can deliver. If this is a non-collapsing design, the new 12-32mm lens seems to deliver on that front.

The top panel of the camera looks interesting in that there are two dials flanking the shutter release. One is a mode dial, and the other looks sort of like a zoom toggle, but the lens itself looks to have a mechanically linked zoom rather than a toggle zoom. Notably absent is a hot shoe, which comes as no surprise considering that the smallest GF cameras also lack this feature.

Supposedly the GM1 will use the same sensor as the GX7, which is great news and a break from Panasonic's history of leaving their best sensors out of their smallest cameras. In other news, the GX7 sensor has been DxOmarked and is for all practical purposes evenly matched with the E-M5/GH3 sensor.

[via 43 Rumors]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Looks like the camera I want as a compact. Rather have this than a RX100.

Articulated screen??

Gordon

3. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Same here.

Was pretty tempted by the RX100II, but this makes more sense for me.

Will be very interesting to see the video specs on this. I'm hoping they will equal or better the LX7.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Is this just coming out as a kit zoom for the new camera? I would love to have this pretty much glued onto a GX7. :2thumbs:

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks cool, but seems a little spendy. Is there a way to attach an EVF to it?

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I think I see a tab covering a shoe on the white version. But hard to tell.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think this looks great. My wife would like something compact, but with the same IQ we get out of our m4/3 gear.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    based on these images, i dont think it even has a hotshoe. would love to use this with a 14 or 20 and an optical VF.

9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    It seems like Panasonic is taking a page from the Fuji handbook -- first the GX7 looks like the X-E1 and now this looks like the X-M1. Oly needs to look out. All of a sudden Panasonic has a couple of gorgeous looking cameras and Oly is coming out with (IMHO) a fugly looking E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    that should be the flash

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Unfortunately, even with that thin body, the lens is still thick enough to give a "just happy to see you" look in a front jeans pocket. The RX100 is pushing it, but a little more realistic pocket option.

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Ahh - hadn't heard it had an inbuilt flash, but that makes sense.

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    No viewfinder? What a waste of some cool engendering. I hope that doesn't rule out another model with newest sensor that will accept a LVF2.

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

while the GM1 does (a little bit) look like the XF1, the GX7 looks more like the LF1/L1 they had more than five years ago.

yeah, we have the same subjective opinion about the E-M1 but remember, the PENs' are beauties

15. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    This may just be my wife's next cam (that I'll borrow:biggrin:) ...interesting for sure.

16. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'd be interested in just the lens by itself. I wonder what its price alone will be.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'm guessing the lens is a collapsible design since as it is shown there is a clear mark in the middle, however the numbered zoom range is 1.5 to 2 centimeters to the left of the centered mark.

18. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Looks a lot like the new Polaroid iM1836 and Nikon 1...

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I suspect that's a pop-up flash but, as you say, hard to tell. We'll know in a couple of days.

Good catch. I haven't seen anyone else comment on that.

There are only so many ways to shape and style a small rectangular box with a lens on the front.

20. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I've to admit that I am drawn to the E-P5 in spite the lack of a viewfinder. Must. Resist.