leaked photo of Sony's APS-C ILC-3000 mirrorless

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MarylandUSA, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
  2. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    rumor is it will have IBIS. that could move me from u4/3 to e-mount.

3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I think the most apparent thing going for this is if the rumored price of ~$350-400 is true...

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Wasn't this stated in GBP :confused:

5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why does Sony gear not get me excited?

8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    For some reason I have to agree with you. I love their sensors no doubt but had not really been attracted to their systems.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have to say I am quite excited about the A3000 not for myself but for mirrorless. It is taking advantage of the cost advantage of mirrorless technology to put a DSLR camera priced at a lower point than Canikon's entry DSLRs.

Obviously it is pretty low spec - 230k LCD, no IBIS, plastic body. It also seems to me that Sony has foregone the usual mirrorless strategy of pricing their cameras at much higher margins than DSLRs.

It will be interesting to see how well this sells - I hope it sells well.

10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not to say their system is bad, but for some reason, Sony's glass just does not excite. M43 as a whole, has some of the most interesting glass for any system. If they flesh out their telephoto line, they'll have all their bases covered!

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Isn't this what Panasonic has been doing with their G series? The G series has been doing the SLR-look from the beginning and you can buy last gen bodies at blow out prices (at least in the US). :wink:

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok. I at least half agree with you. The most innovative thing about the A3000 is the price point - US$398 for body including lens. This is pretty much exactly where the G5 is - US$399 for body including lens.

And to some extent, this proves why I think the A3000 is going to be successful. Which mirrorless is the top seller at Amazon at the moment - the E-P5? the GX7? the Canon EOs-M? the Panny G6? Not at all. It is the Panny G5 at its blow out sales price.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Compact System Cameras

Now to me the new Sony A3000 has a number of advantages. It is new and it is selling for the same price as a blow out old model. It has an APS-C sensor which when you are competing against Canikon's lower end model is a significant advantage. It has a sensor with more megapixels than Canikon (and the Panny). And quite frankly it has a better sensor than the Panny and at least as good as the Canikons. Throw in a few bells and whistles - NFC and wifi, undercut the current offerings from Canikon and I think it is looking very good.

Now I know most people dont agree with me but I personally think that what is holding mirrorless back is 'price' - mirrorless is not taking advantage of its inherent competitive advantage which is cost. I know that most people believe in a high margin, high marketing spend strategy for mirrorless but I think it flies against the facts. But we shall see.

13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I looked at the Sony NEX line before buying my E-PM1. The main thing that held me back was the size of the lenses. As far as I can tell, that difference hasn't changed. If I wanted a camera with lenses the size of the Sony's, I'd probably buy the SL-1. But I think I'll stick with my G5 (which isn't actually all that old) and my mini Pen when I find even the G5 too big.

14. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    It won't really change in the foreseeable future as the sensor size is bigger.

15. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    They've been floating rumors of a FF NEX for a while now. I wonder if that will be E-mount or not.

16. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    With the release of these 3 lenses I guess there will be no FF NEX in the near future yet unless they release the FF version Nex with a bunch of E mount lenses too.

17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The ILC-3000 is the answer to a question no one asked. Sony is having a hard time figuring out how to blend A-mount and E-mount. A-mount has so many lenses, but E-mount is the idea form factor for most of the public. To me making a tiny A-mount might have been the answer.

18. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    turns out the price point is the ONLY innovative thing. and considering the lack of ANY worthwhile features, the price is hardly innovative.

from the dpreview first impressions:

200k dot fixed LCD
    200k dot EVF
    hard plastic eyecup
    no EVF eye sensor
    4GN flash
    no wifi
    no control dials
    2.5fps / 3.5fps manual continuous shooting
    25point CDAF
    proprietary shoe
    plasticky hollow body
    springy shutter button
    laggy menu
    1440x1080 MP4
    1920x1080 only via AVCHD

i would BEG friends and family to NOT buy this as a gift for anyone. it makes shooting a chore and locks one into a terrible lens selection.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unfortunately, Sony is cutting a lot of corners to hit that $400 price point:

According to DPreview:

Sony A3000 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I always thought the rumors of a FF NEX is just hype. In order to do FF, you need to have a comprehensive lens system. Second, the size of FF lenses even if they were to go mirrorless, would still be much bigger unless Sony only plans to release a 28, 35 and 50 trio. Thirdly, I just don't think it's economically viable to cater to the adapted lens crowd and bourgeois Leica snobs who hangs out on Steve Huff's blog all day. :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue: