Leaked Panasonic GF3 Size/Shape Compared to GF2

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I took one of the leaked video frame grabs attached by JohnMetsn in this thread and tried to match the purported GF3 image to an image of the GF2 to allow for comparison:

The size difference does not appear to very great. The style has changed significantly, with the newer body having more curves and a lens mount which is further off center (more like Sony NEX).

On first impression, I prefer the looks of the GF2, but I expect the newer design to be more comfortable due to the larger right hand grip area.

It's interesting that the "hump" seems to have grown. I'm still dreaming of a small EVF hiding behind that new hump, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

I'm hoping that Panasonic will introduce a smaller standard kit zoom with this body. There have been rumors of a collapsible Panasonic kit zoom in the works, and I'd love to see a clever implementation, perhaps one with automatic extension after power on (similar to the LX5).
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jeremyv10

jeremyv10 New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
    Looks very cool. The rumor about the 1.4 lens was very exciting as well.
  3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    For the lack of a hotshoe, I was hoping the GF3 would be significantly smaller than the GF2. The rounded edges give it a more casual look however, and I'm sure this will be a good way to draw in more of the P&S market.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You did notice that in one of the stills the girl had the camera up to her eye, right? ;)
  5. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    The ladies eye wasn't anywhere near the area where that hump was.
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Did anyone see the video before it was pulled? the screen grab shows the camera at her face, it would be interesting to note whether she was framing through a viewfinder...

I like the distinctive look - separates the body from most other rectangular framed P&S / rangefinder style bodies... a modern look without harping back to the prism humped dslr cams.

I do suspect this will be a further bridge to the P&S mass market though... so I don't expect too much in the way of sophisticated photography controls.

Thanks for the news Amin :thumbup:

7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

In the video it was just a pose. In fact this screenshot was a screenshot from a gallery on a screen in the video, so it wasn't in motion.

edit: my message seems to be more confusing than usual, hopefully you can understand my broken English.
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Makes me wonder whether this is deliberate leak from Panasonic to build hype.
  9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I believe so, almost all companies are doing that, so I would be surprised if Panasonic wouldn't. It's also common to pay a person to support this hype and help to spread a good word on various forums, but I didn't notice such person here. Maybe it's still a small market?
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It is my understanding that Panasonic has an explicit policy against such means of marketing, but this video may be too egregious to be accidental.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DumplinkNet

DumplinkNet Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2011
    it's a sad leak because there is no hype to be found with this model.
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are a lot of sites covering this leak, and I've been reading most of them. Interest actually seems very high.
  13. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    from a dslr camera users point, the gf2 does not have allot to hype about, a new sensor and that is about it. More touch screen means more menu diving. It is after a target market, and photographers will not get all worked up about it. But the point and shooter, they will get a nice jump in image quality with interchangeable lenses.

Hype for some, but not for others. It will help grow m4/3 so it is a good thing.
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    all depends on the UI. Many many people who dissed the GF2 during the rumor stage reversed their position once using it.
  15. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    I used the gf2, and i am not to keen on the touch screen, I keep finger printing it up. And it does require a touch here and a touch there, it is pretty good for a touch screen. But it is not the same as dedicate buttons.