1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Leaf across the lane

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by MacBook, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    We live a lane that is 20 feet across. I took out the dog this morning and noticed a leaf hanging by a spider's "string" across the width of the road. I quickly retrieved my GH2 and 20/1.7 lens to try to capture the scene before a car or bicyclist came by and swept it away. I had to focus manually because the leaf was so small that the AF wanted to accommodate a bigger area and also because the wind kept moving the leaf, sometimes quite dramatically. All pp in Aperture. Any suggestions for a technique that would have worked better?

#1 Leaf hanging by a string where you can see it.
    #2 Leaf hanging in the middle of the road - broad view.
    #3 Leaf on a string.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Have you set your AF point to the smallest size possible? I don't have a GH2, but assuming the method is still the same as for the GH1:

Press the left arrow key to choose your AF mode and highlight "spot AF" on the right
    Press the down arrow
    Adjust AF point size with the thumbwheel

3. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, I had it set to the smallest point possible. The leaf was rather small and moving almost constantly, so it was a bit of a struggle. What I might have done is stopped down and so had more depth of field, but that would have meant a slower shutter and likely more blur.

4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Such situations call for a macro lens. A wide prime may not be able to get close enough to capture the fleeting detail of tiny living things around us.