1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LE: Lighting Example Threads

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by MichaelSewell, Jan 24, 2016.

1. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet has now installed a resource management extension to the forum. This addition is designed to automatically manage resources such as equipment reviews, guides and tutorials.
    These are original resources, hosted on this forum, rather than simply linked external writeups/reviews hosted on other forums.

Going forward, the new Lighting Example threads will be published via the Resource manager, and will be found at: Tutorials | Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds User Group

It means that all resources can be easily found, and those who are interested will be able to receive alerts when a new tutorial is published. (Simply click the "Watch Category" text, upper right corner, just below the "Add Resource" blue button).

The existing lighting examples will stay within the lighting forum, but at a later date, I shall add them to the resource, just to keep all of them available to new members, who may not realise they are available in the lighting forum.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Nice, I look forward to seeing more great ideas. I just did my first practice portrait session with a friend and ended up having a lot of fun with it. I think it's something I'll be exploring much more in the future.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The resources are also searchable by tags :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Don't forget, if you get stuck, or have a question, just ask

• Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    After doing the shoot, I believe I need to focus on learning how/when to use the different modifiers I own more effectively. I'm honestly not entirely sure the difference of light for a Octobox vs a Shoot-through umbrella, or when you'd want to use a snoot over a grid comb. If you have any thoughts or advice I'd love to hear it.

6. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    @Repp@Repp
    The best way to know a modifier, is to play with it. Two octas can produce different results, depending on depth, diffusion thickness and colour, internal reflective colour (White or silver), and also the texture of that surface.

However, in response to the Octa versus the shoot through, think of how the light is managed, bearing in mind it travels in straight lines.
    In an Octa, the light is bounced around and passes through the front diffusion panels. The light cannot escape anywhere else, except forward, through the panels. It therefore creates a soft but controllable light, which can be feathered to varying degrees to create the fall-off you're looking for.

A shoot through umbrella can appear to give a soft light, although some of that softness may be down to added light bounced from a ceiling within the studio, because the light isn't contained, but disperses in all directions, including backwards. This of course means there is a fair amount of wasted light, so you tend to up the power slightly to compensate for this.

If you wanted to shoot a portrait on a black background, you would use a fairly close Octa on a low power setting, as the Inverse square law would mean the light would rapidly fall off, past the subject, and be pretty inconsequential by the time it got as far as the backdrop.
    With a shoot through umbrella, you will struggle to stop the black backdrop becoming grey, as the lack of control will cause errant light to illuminate and bounce from walls or ceilings, adding light from additional direction to your subject, and the background.

A single Octa can create quite a dynamic look to a portrait, as can a shoot through umbrella. But the umbrella takes a lot more work to control the light exactly as you wish.

On the other hand, a shoot through umbrella makes a great modifier for mature clients, because of their light flooding characteristics are much kinder on mature skin.

Each modifier has Pros and Cons, and can be chosen dependant on either.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Any recommendations on ways to experiment without having a model handy? I was thinking of just shooting them off in a dark room against white backdrop to see how the light fell. Here are some of the better shots from what I got this weekend, Week 4, Portrait:Headshot I was switching up modifiers all over the place. It also felt like I had problems when trying to add a 2nd light, though I think that might be a visualization thing I need to get down after I feel more confident with the main light sources.

8. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Rather than use a wall, which is featureless, use something with shape and texture. Something like a large ornament.
    You need to see how the light falls across its surface, and how the light falls off on any curved areas. It's also important to see the effect on textures etc.

Incidentally, nice portraits in your link ;)

You will get more confidence once you know what to expect from your modifiers. Half the battle is figuring out what to use and when. Once you know what you can get from a modifier, you then know when to choose it, and how best to implement it, to get exactly what you have in your mind, onto your memory card. (erm........... I think I just made a pun!)

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet has found a way to add the tutorials from the lighting forum to the resource, and leave the original threads on a redirect so they can still be found by anyone returning to the lighting forum.
    All future lighting tutorials will be added to the resource manager directly, and can be found under the heading "Resources" at the very top.

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Some use something like a styrofoam mannequin heads to experiment with lighting.

Russell Dadson Photography P&P: Lighting for portraiture

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I was wondering what happened to this series and I now see it was move "off forum". While I now see there is this other section, I also see that the vast majority of it is from MichaelSewell (not much else going on to attract people). Previously when Mike posted something there was often a lively discussion or Q&A. But now I see all the posts and... well... crickets. Makes me wonder if these posts should be moved back to the forum where the people are so people will notice them.

12. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I understand where you are coming from, and I do agree there was possibly wider coverage/audience. However, I also believe @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet move to create the Resources section was worthwhile, particularly as one of the lighting tutorial threads kinda got tarnished with an argument over the format of the camera, which of course is immaterial to a tutorial on lighting.

I don't doubt for a minute that Amin is keeping an eye on it. I know @barry13@barry13 keeps an eye open for the tutorial threads, and he may well have an opinion as to whether he feels they are best suited in their new home.
    There is a standard forum section that automatically opens a thread for discussion on the tutorials, Resource Discussions

13. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Just as an update to this thread, and to point folks to the updated home of the lighting tutorails; They are now located in a home of their own.

Lighting Tutorials

All future tutorials will appear in the new forum.

• Like Like x 4