LCD vs VF-2 vs Jpg

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MajorMagee, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Okay, so some interesting lighting caught my eye and I thought I'd take a couple of shots of these flowers on our window sill.

E-PL1 with Panasonic 20mm

I almost exclusively shoot using the VF-2, but for some reason (probably fiddling with the set-up menus) I'd left it on the LCD display. I immediately noticed that the flowers looked blue in the LCD and not purple as they appeared in real life. I checked the leaves and they looked the right shade of yellow green, and the white trim in the background appeared the appropriate shade of neutral grey.

Switching back to the VF-2 and there were the purple flowers I was expecting to see, but now I noticed the leaves looked a little more blue green than in the actual scene. I checked the white trim, and it still looked correct without any color cast.

I went ahead and took the shot as a jpg with all default settings, and sure enough when viewed on my computer monitor it looks exactly like the live scene did.

I guess the good new is that the jpgs are coming out reasonably true to life, no matter what I'm seeing on the two different camera displays.

That led me to thinking I could calibrate the Camera displays to get a truer rendition of the scene when I'm taking pictures, but the controls seem to be lacking to correct this sort of color shift. For now I just set them back to default, and will rely on looking at the scene by eye to decide if the final colors will be what I'm looking for or not.

Has anyone else noticed this effect, and have you found any better solution than just living with the discrepancy?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I haven't noticed. I just got my VF2 and used it a few times. The colors seems to be just about right for me, the LCD screen is a bit more vivid. Guessing because it's a bigger screen than what's in the VF2.

Could you have changed the white balance? I doubt it would be the screen brightness/contrast setting since that should only affect what you see on the screen, not the picture itself.... Maybe, not sure.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The pictures are fine (including WB), it's the camera displays that seems out of balance with each other and not true to life in differing ways.

For that matter neither display is showing me what the unprocessed jpg image is really going to end up looking like.
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I suppose I really just need to be concerned with focus and composition when I'm shooting and leave the color decisions to post processing. Unless I can find a good way to calibrate the screens any color shifts I try to do through camera settings will just be a guess as to the actual effect I'm going to get.