1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LCD Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bob, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    Does anyone have any opinions about screen protectors for the 3-pl3, either ones you like or ones to avoid? I was thinking about the Giottos Aegis M-C Schott but it seems a little pricey. Thanks for your opinions.

2. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I happen to think, after trying just about everyone out there at one point, the BEST is the Micro Solutions brand found on Amazon. They are absolutely transparent, and go on in 2 seconds without trouble and without any bubbles. They are also anti reflective without producing any of the rainbow effect of others. To try one is to love them

3. Bob

Bob New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks Dcisive! I'll take a look.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I went on e-bay and purchased one of these for my E-M5, (Lexerd - Olympus PEN E-PL3 TrueVue Crystal Clear Digital Camera Screen Protector), I see that they have them for yours. I am very happy with my purchased and if fits great. It comes with two packages and there are two screens in a package.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kmack

kmack Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    I've used the BSE (www.bestskinsever.com) skins on my phones for years. I added one to my e-pl1. They don't have a specific skin for that camera but they do have a generic 'build your own' kit. Relatively inexpensive and a good product.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Completely agree. :thumbup:

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I have been very happy with my GGS screen protector (for E-PL1) - it is a thin sheet of multicoated optical glass, not plastic. Very durable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    GGS are excellent - I have one on my Nex 5 and my E-PL1. However I tried to find one for the E-PL3 and couldn't. I measured my Nex 5 one and it was either too small or too big (can't remember which). Saying that, I don't think they made one specifically for the E-PL1 either - but I bought a 2.7 inch GGS on ebay and the fit is perfect on the E-PL1.

On my GF3 (touch screen) I use a brand called Swido, they make one for the E-PL3 as well. A bit stiffer than most plastic protectors and so easier to apply and also no air bubbles. :smile: I have tried a couple of other protectors (Vikuiti and ScreenPatronus) but prefer the Swido one.

The Micro Solutions one I saw recommended on here previously but I could not find a UK stockist or a way to buy them from the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    On a non-touchscreen camera, I agree - I like the GGS best. On a touchscreen, a film-type protector works better although it provides a lot less protection.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bob

Bob New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and help!

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Minor install tip: if you wind up getting a bit of dust under the film, you can use the sticker they include (or "Scotch Tape," which works just as well) to remove the dust speck.

12. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I just use Optex protective film

$10/pack, enough to cover 3-4 screens. If it ever gets marred, you just peel it off and apply more.

13. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    I am going to be pedantic and point out the screen on the back of the E-M5 is not an "LCD screen," It's an OLED screen.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display
    OLED = Organic Light Emitting Diode

If I wanted to be ultra pedantic, I would point out that 'screen' is redundant because of the 'D' bit, but I don't, so I wont. :wink:

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the pedantic corrections. I am guessing no one will be misled about the benefits, or absence thereof, of applying a protective film. :rolleyes:

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Right and I don't like the OLED on my $1000 E-M5. Not as bright and accurately colorful as the LCD on my $150.00 E-PL1.

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Refer to your manual, it will tell you how to set-up the brightness and color of the OLED on your $1000 E- M5.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I use ACMAXX LCD Armor for my EPL2 and my 5DMKII and they work just AMAZING! and cheap. $15 bucks a pop!

ACMAXX LCD ARMOR Features :2thumbs:

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The problem with that is that you won't be able to use the touchscreen on the OM-D.

19. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
  20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    right, but theyve made a special version for the omd which im looking forward in purchasing after my great experience on my other cameras and its cheaper too! ACMAXX LCD Protector - Olympus OM-D E-M5