LCD screen on E-P2 vs E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rider, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I know that the E-P2 has a slightly larger LCD than the E-PL1, but they both have the same # of dots (230,000). Is it much easier to use the larger one, or are they mostly the same, given the same resolution?

2. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    Rider, on the paper, the bigger the LCD the better

but e-pl1 is enough to use :) at least for me

3. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm not too critical about the back LCD, and have both the larger sized screen on my E-P1 and the smaller on the E-PL1. From the specs and messages online, I expected to experience a noticeable difference. But in real life usage, I don't notice the difference in size, just the difference in info on the screen (no levels in the E-PL1, different colored guidelines, things like that).

4. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    How about when manual focusing (still or video), do you see a difference?

5. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I don't use manual focusing a lot, so I'm not the best judge at that.

6. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    in manual focusing, both has MF assits, it magnifices 7x 10x, the MF area is in the middle, so i suppose the different is not that big

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Rider, you might find this to be a helpful thread to read. I've just done a quick search and it caught my eye regarding manual focussing with the E-P2: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/olympus-e-p2-quick-start-part-1-a-586/index3.html#post43859 starting at #34 for manual focus.

I know there's quite a bit written about the E-PL1 regarding manual focus and that many feel it is even better. I never did much manual focussing so can't make any personal recommendations. I'll see if I can find a good link for you when I have the chance.

P.S. I think if you read through this thread, that you'll find it helpful regarding the E-PL1:https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-pl1-experience-diary-1686/#post16520

8. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Thank you BBW, I will check it out. If you see anything on focusing in video (especially manual focus), please let me know. Unfortunately, you can't magnify the view while recording video (you can't even magnify the view before recording if you are on the video mode dial). That's why I'm wondering whether a simple magnifying loupe over the LCD might be better than the optional EVF view finder.

Manual focus is a must for me because I have only one 4/3 lens. All of the lenses I want to use are high-speed Nikon lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'll look around when I have the chance for you. Don't forget to try the Advanced Search method and choose the option of showing results by posts, rather than threads. It's time consuming but a very good way to search. Meanwhile, if you post in the video forum about this you might get some more direct help w/video and manual focus issues. You may already have done this - my memory banks are almost full right now - if you know what I mean.:wink:

10. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Redundant!

I have an E-P2 a friend has the E-PL1. Both are as good as each other. That said, I have to admit the viewfinder has made my screen almost redundant.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    ep2 has a much better lcd to work with.

12. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I saw one in the store when I went to pick up my Nikon lens adapter, and I was stunned by how much clearer than my E-PL1 it was. It really made me regret the E-PL1, because with the EP-2 screen, I might not need the EVF, hence wiping out all I saved by getting the E-PL1. But you can't tell this from the spec, because both LCDs have the same number of dots.

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    if you are shooting mf, you will still need the evf. It is clear, but still not good enough for checking mf focus.

14. briandforever

Sep 27, 2010
    agree with shoturtle.

if you are using non m4/3 lens, you still need EVF

15. Hards80

Hards80 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    the ep2 screen is bigger for sure. but for me i have no problem with the epl1 lcd. i will still get the vf soon.

but i have been shooting alot of mf lenses, and have never had a problem getting critical focus on the epl1 on the lcd. the dedicated magnified view button is quite handy too.

16. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    What lenses are you shooting? I just tried some nikons. I can focust but only if I magnify the view.

Maybe there's something wrong with my epl1. Even the epl1 at the store seems brighter than mine. Or maybe they have brighter lights and I've been shooting in the dark a lot.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Hards shoots the FD mounts, vivtar 105 macro, and canon 50mm 1.4 I believe

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  19. Hards80

Hards80 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    as ST mentioned i shoot the kiron viv 105 macro and a fd 1.4.

basically my mf workflow is; using non-magnified view focus as close as i can, then pop down to magnified view for critical focus, then pop back out to confirm framing is still good and fire.

i think that is pretty much the only way to shoot any of these cams with mf, you will have to use magnified view (unless you are shooting narrow aperture with plenty of dof) to get any critical focus since you dont have a split prism like old MF cams.