1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LCD protector for EM-5 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fsuscotphoto, Jul 17, 2015.

1. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Does anyone make a decent LCD protector that won't look like I put plastic wrap over the thing in a couple of weeks? I wasn't worried about this at first, but a friend scratched his in about a week. I'm not as rough on a camera as he is, but I still want to keep a scratch from happening.

Thx!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    For my E-M1, I tried cutting a generic one ($15 at a camera shop iirc), but it didn't stay on long.

Then, I found a Zagg Invisible Shield dealer at a local mall ($25 installed), and it's been a year and it's still pretty good. One place started coming loose very recently but it's been OK after smoothing it again.
    They supposedly charge $5 for replacements under their lifetime warranty.

The protector does have some marks/indentations, but at least the LCD isn't damaged.

I had one on my phone for a couple years with no problems.

Barry

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The E-M5 Mk.II has a built-in screen protector. Just flip the screen when not in use. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I got a protector designed for an iPad for 99p, approx $1.5, and made from that by cutting, one for my EM5 and another for my GM5, and I still have enough left over for the foreseeable future.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I got one of these for my EM1 and had one for my EM5. http://amzn.com/B00F9ZE3VI

After a couple of years, the EM5 one needs replacing. The one on the EM1 is still crystal clear. Very satisfied with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I didn't notice much difference, but I applied it right after I got the camera so I cannot make a real before/after comparison. I'm happy with what I see.
    Searching for "Vikuiti ADQC27" on amazon.com or co.uk I found several reviews scattered on different models.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'll also vote for the Zagg InvisibleShield protective film. I just buy the generic packs and custom cut to fit. They go on solid and do nothing to degrade the image. They don't peel off or look worse with time. They're pretty close to indestructible. Also, if you buy something used that has an LCD in bad shape, an InvisibleShield will actually fill in light scratches and scuffs and make it look new again. Incredible product that goes on everything with a screen that isn't my TV! Some people complain that they're difficult to apply, but some people aren't reading the instructions - it's pretty easy.

11. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I back this suggestion 100%. I have it on my E-M5 and GX1 and you can't even tell it's there unless you look really closely. Of course if you do a bad job of applying it (or any other product) it's going to be noticable.

If you're going to try the Zagg stuff don't get the original....it will have an orange peel effect over time.

12. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    +1 for Micro Solutions. I've had one on my E-M5, E-P5, A7r, now I wish they had one for the A7II. :(

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Since switching to the tempered glass screen shield on my phone, I'd never go back to a plastic one. I may just order one of these for my E-M5.

14. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1. Easy to fit and easy to replace when necessary.

15. dcbrookes

dcbrookes Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2010
    Herefordshire, UK
    I have these JJC glass protectors fitted to my E-M1 and E-M5. They are excellent, and vastly superior to any plastic screen protectors I have used, Highly recommended.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm also using the Microsolution ones and would buy again. They need replacing every once in a while, but not too bad.

The 3M screen-protectors I would never consider again. I got one for my E-PM2 once and the 3M's actually use sticky adhesive (rather than just surface adhesion).
    It ended up being a milky grey film over my screen and was really hard to apply without bubbles.

17. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    I've had this on my e-m5 II for a few months now:

Expert Shield *Lifetime Guarantee* - THE Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULICDL0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_RLoSvb0X87812

It was easy to apply, has held up very well and is practically invisible

I really do like tempered glass protectors though and use them on my iPhones. So when/if the time comes I'll look into one for camera use too.

18. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011

I just got the Expert Shield for my A7II and while its great, I prefer Micro Solutions because it's barely noticeable. Almost like it's part of the camera. When they release one for the A7II i'm definitely going to get it.