LCD Protection

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zpierce, Nov 30, 2010.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I just purchased a GF1 and am thinking it would be good to put a screen protector on the permanently exposed LCD. I never put one on my G1, but I usually leave the screen closed and that has been adequate.

I started searching and found enough options to make my head spin. I like the idea of the glass ones, no bubbles, scratch proof, some even claim fingerprint resistance (which I like the idea of, works awesome on the iphone 3gs glass). However many have complained about extreme reflectivity of the glass options. However I didn't see any overwhelmingly positive reviews of the anti glare option I found. I also like the idea of anti glare since I know having only an LCD in the sun can be challenging under the best of circumstances.

Has anyone had good success with any particular product they care to share and / or any tips for installation (another thing that concerns me)?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Zach,
    To be honest, I have used the Zagg Shield for years.
    I tried the glass, I think it's GGS or something, on Bill's suggestion and there's no going back. It works great. Bill was right on this for sure.
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've had / have several Panasonic Lumix cameras and have never experienced any scratches or damage to the LCD panels. This includes two that have touch screens. I carry a small microfiber clot in my bag and wipe it clean after every use.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Do you find it adds much to the glare? Also, I noticed the GGS ones seem to have a border around them (saw a video of someone applying to a canon). Does that exist on the gf1 protector and if so does it cover any of the screen?

Thanks!

ZP

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael E

Michael E Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2010
    Crawley England
    I've got a GGS one on my GF1 and it's way better than all the film ones I've tried, which I'll never use again. Yes, it has a border but it doesn't block out any of the screen. And I've never had any viewing problems with it. Highly recommended.

I've actually damaged mine at some unknown time. There's a small chip near a corner and a very fine crack down the edge. Nothing that upsets viewing and not worth replacing it for. I think that had I not had the GGS on, then it could have been the LCD cracked maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. speenth

speenth New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi' Zach,

I have a Zagg screen on just about everything I own (Leicas, Nikons, iPods, Garmins ... etc). They're indestructible and pretty much invisible.

At the time I ordered, Zagg didn't have a specific screen for the GF-1, but the Lumix LX-3 Zagg screen is a perfect fit.

My tip - Take out your camera battery before you start, follow Zagg's instructions precisely and don't worry about getting liquid all over the camera! A liberal application of Zagg fluid on your hands and on the screen is the secret of a successful fitting.

Thank to Grebeman's advice on this forum, I also use one of these cheap but effective covers when I'm cycling or hiking to prevent the screen (even though fitted with a Zagg) chafing too much on backpack buckles etc:

# LCD Sunshade / Hood for Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 on eBay (end time 31-Dec-10 06:20:00 GMT)

Steve'

• Like Like x 2
  7. speenth

speenth New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi' Zach,

Zagg screens are matt - I have never experienced glare. They're essentially invisible on my iPod Touch and on my Garmin Oregon, both of which are more visually critical applications than the chimping screen of the GF1.

Steve'

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    How easy it is to get scratches to your camera's screen? I couldn't see any major scratches on my E-520's screen after 1,5 years usage. Maybe there was something but nothing you could see without really concentrating. So after that experience I haven't even thought to get protection to my E-P1, and maybe will regret that some day. Of course it is better to be safe than sorry.

So what are your experiences in general, how easily do LCD screens get scratches? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I guess I'm one of those odd users who can't stand Zagg. I tried it on two different cell phones and it bubbled up and couldn't get the bubbles out. I've used boxwave in the past for several different devices, but they did not have one for my phone when it came out. Boxwave doesn't have an lcd protector for my E-P1 either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  11. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    I got a realook protector for my phone, and liked it enough to get one for the gf1. They sell for $10 for 2 on amazon.

Getting 2 is pretty great if this will be the first time you've applied a screen protector. Just get everything set out in the bathroom before a shower, and put on the protector afterwards in the steam. It keeps the dust out of the air and slows the evaporation of the binding fluid, giving you more time to line it up.

If you do see any bubbles caused by dirt or dust under the protector, peel it back up and pluck it away with a needle or tweezers. Rubbing it off with the microfiber cloth smears the adhesive, making a smudge spot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Get the GGS lens protector from ebay. I just got it today for my e-pl1. I highly recommend it. Very nice packaging and excellent quality and fits perfectly. Probably one of the best third party accessories in terms of quality I have bought on Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I used to use protectors, but I'm so careful and protective of my cameras that I've opted for not using them. It's been good for me as it's made me take more notice of what I'm doing - like when handling a sharp blade. Of course if I ever do damage a screen, I'll know who to blame... :eek:

All the best,

Colin

14. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
  15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Thanks everyone for the input. I love the sunshade! What a cheap alternative to the viewfinder which I wasn't looking forward to buying.

I ended up buying:
    Amazon.com: RainbowImaging ANTI-FINGERPRINT LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Panasonic G1 GH1 GF1: Camera & Photo

It's like the GGS, but claimed to be anti-fingerprint as well, which I really like so I thought I'd take a leap. It fits perfect, seems exactly like the GGS screen by description. I like the idea of having glass.

As for protection in general, I generally try to avoid it because it's a pain. I haven't put any on my iphone or Zunes. They have glass screens and I think it's a waste to put a cover on them. Glass is nearly impossible to scratch unless you're carrying diamonds around in your pocket. I wish our cameras just came with glass screens like most nice phones these days.

I generally baby my electronics, but I didn't want to have to be extra careful with this one. I bought the GF1 as a camera to carry around with me when I don't carry my G1 (soon to be GH2) for those random photo ops. Just today I noticed I was pulling it in and out of a metal zipper jacket pocket with gloved hands (clumsy to say the least) and got nervous about scratching it.

Thanks all for the input!

Zach

16. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    I scratched the plastic screen on my gps pretty bad after a day at the beach. I'm sure pocket sand would even scratch the gorilla glass on my epic 4g.

For the GF1, $10 is pretty cheap insurance, and since it isn't even a touch screen, you don't have to worry about any loss in touch sensitivity. As long as the screen protector doesn't add glare, I would always use one.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Good to hear. I use them on my GPS and some older phones I had. When I first got the E-P1, they didn't have it, but that was over a year ago. Their product seems easier to apply than the Zagg product does, at least to me.

18. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I have the GGS from Rainbowimaging and I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't even look like I have a protector at all. It looks like it's part of the camera.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Anyone have photos of these miracle screen protectors on their cameras?

20. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010