LCD Hood for E-PM1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by redington, Jun 5, 2012.

1. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm doing a lot of shooting outside in the bright sunlight. I can't afford an EVF (not even close) and I'm having a hard time seeing the screen for framing the shot well and I'm ending up with a lot of crooked kids.

How useful would I find an LCD hood? Is there a preferred hood? I really like how compact and streamlined my camera is - is there a hood that is as low-profile and easy to open/shut as possible? Thanks for any advice...

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've used the Clearviewer and I thought it worked pretty well. It's not so much a hood as an LCD magnifier but I used it on both my E-P1 and LX3 and it made working in bright light much easier.

3. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    That's interesting. Did you use the hot shoe one or the tripod mount? It's more than I was hoping to spend, but it may work better when I eventually get my fd lens mount and need to do more MF.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I used the tripod mount one because I could just leave it attached and fold it out of the way. I was pretty skeptical when I first got it but it works surprisingly well. I found that it works better with higher resolution displays as opposed to something like the ones on the E-PL1 or E-P1/P2.

They guy that makes them is also really great to deal with. I had a problem with the first one he made for me and he fixed it for free. They also offer an upgrade path so if you sell your camera (the Clearviewers are custom made to fit your camera body) you can send it back and they'll swap out the lens and put it in a new holder for whatever new camera body you'll be attaching it to. As I recall the upgrade cost was pretty cheap. I think its a decent product. I used it with my E-P1 and later a GF2. It does help with manually focusing. It's not as good as an EVF but a step up from using the LCD by itself.