LC-37C on 17mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JYC2, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    I tried to use automatic lens cap LC-37C with 17mm F2.8 pancake. LC-37C is originally made for the use with new 14-42EZ. However, it works pretty well on 17mm pancake.
    I tried it, and it was really successful. It works pretty well, and it makes me love 17mm F2.8 again.

When the camera is turned off, the cover stays closed.

When the camera is turned on, the inner body of the lens slightly extends, and then it released the switches at two ears of lens cap, and as a result the cover of lens cap automatically opens.

Side view. You can see the switch. It is depressed when the camera is turned off.

"turned off" state.

"turned on" state.

• Like Like x 3
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I thought this was designed for the new kit zoom that extends when turning on the camera and that the lens extending opened the automatic lens cap. I guess I was wrong or can you open it manually on a non-extending lens?
  3. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    LC-37C was designed for new 14-42mm F3.5-5.6EZ lens. The inner body of that lens extends when we turn the camera on. It makes the depressed switches at two ears of LC-37C released, and then the cover of lens cap opens.
    Due to that mechanism, the usage of this lens cap is limited. The conditions are (1) the inner body should extend when turned on, (2) the size of lens should fit for the placement of cap switches.

For long time I have owned 17mm F2.8 pancake lens. After I bought new 14-42mm EZ, I noticed that the overall size of 17mm F2.8 is similar to that of 14-42 EZ. Further the inner body of 17mm F2.8 extends when turned on. The same mechanism, and the same size. So I tried and fortunately I succeeded.
    Although Olympus doesn't announce that LC-37C can be also used with 17mm F2.8, it works really well with 17mm F2.8.
    When I turn the camera on, the inner body of 17mm F2.8 slightly extends, and then the cover opens, automatically. When I turn the camera off, the cover is automatically closed. It makes using 17mm F2.8 very convenient.

Further, LC-37C can be used with Panasonic 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 whose inner body doesn't automatically extends. It also works pretty well, and makes using that lens very convenient.
    Unfortunately it can't be used with Panasonic 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 Electronic Zoom lens. That is because the size of that lens doesn't fit for LC-37C.

(I added explanation on the pictures of main posting.)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The camera shop guy in Portland showed me one of these when I came in with my black 17mm on my GX1. I tried it out and he got $39.99 out of the deal :p the black version on my all black kit looks stunning too!
  5. JYC2

JYC2 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    In fact I have another 17mm F2.8 which is in black color. The silver one in the pictures are originally not mine but was given to me by chance. My own is black one, but currently I have two - black and silver.
    And, after I knew that the automatic lens cap works pretty well, I bought black LC-37C for my own black 17mm pancake. Of course I'm using it with black body, and it makes fantastic combination.