Lazy Photographers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flash, Aug 12, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Go here

.....and read the second entry over and over.

From one of the best. I couldn't have said it better if I tried. And it applies to all of us at one time or another, doesn't it?

2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    What I want.....
    want more megapixels for more detail
    want more dynamic range - no blown highlights 'ever' + plenty of shadow detail
    want lenses sharp at ALL apertures corner to corner
    want AF that will focus on what I want it to, without any delay
    want auto(inteligent) DOF
    want perfect JPG's OOC that require NO post processing at all
    want auto(inteligent) zoom
    want lenses that will allow me to shoot in the dark @ ISO 100
    want noisefree ISO up to 64,000

What I don't want.......
    to put any effort into photography at all
    to have to think about composition, light etc
    to do any work AFTER the shot is taken.

especially after spending all that money on my phot gear

basically I want the perfect camera

sort of sums it up really :mad:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have to agree, I cut my teeth on manual cameras and spent many years shooting with 10x8 & 4x5 view cameras - no automatic functions there.

We have become dependant on the equipment doing the work with our contribution being that of composition & framing and the blame heaped on the camera if the image is not perfect can be seen & read on many forums.

It would create a better breed of photographer if everyone where to spend some time shooting in Manual mode and using 1 fixed focal length lens - this would make us all more aware of lighting, focus, shape, shine,shadow, DOF, point of focus and many other aspects of our creative hobby.

Then again, ,maybe I am classed as one of those "old farts" who used an old camera under a blanket!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I agree with the basic point of the post. I have an X-100 and love it and am always surprised by the amount of carping about it. But I understand it. I also have an EP3 and it does everything so well and so effortlessly that it really does free the mind to focus on the composition and the framing and the moment. Which is not a BAD thing. Its sort of like how computers have freed us up from the most mundane parts of paperwork and record keeping and freed most of us to do more creative thinking and less rote thinking (although the result sometimes seems like just a lack of ANY thinking, but now I'm just sounding like the bitter OLD guy I might be turning into). So I like the fast and amazing cameras too. I like shooting both ways. The X-100 does take me back a few years - it works best when I use the OVF and really anticipate the shot coming together and do the half-press for focus before the moment has quite arrived. I enjoy it a LOT, but then when I switch to the EP3, I enjoy that type of shooting also. So I guess there's a place for all kinds of cameras in the world - it still comes down 95+ percent to the photographer's eye and instincts. And some cameras work better for some kinds of shooting than others.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I am not lazy, I am still waiting for the national geographic mode on my camera.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    This is why i have opted out for manual lenses on my GH1... you dont just press a button and expect magic to happen, it actually takes a good eye, a steady hand, and focusing all at the same time.. I remmember when i was a kid, I used to look up to the older guys with manual & tele lenses taking pride in thier equipment and taking the time to take apart and clean every single thing they had, taking the time to make sure the sun was shining just the right way on thier subject. Now it seems people just spend hundreds of dollars on AF lenses and nifty tricky cameras that do all that and more which seems to take away from the Art Of Photography instead of saying they took that picture where in actuallity the camera did 99.9% of the job all the person had to do it press the snap button. Anway this is a great thread and worth thinking about where digital photography is taking the nostalgia...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I still shoot with film....:smile:
    Not much in "camera settings" to worry about and you are forced to think about your work :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Could have just said "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools" or "a bad workman will never find a good tool".

Not exactly revolutionary concepts here folks.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I think this is a useful comparison. Word processing has made writing and revising less time-consuming than it used to be. Do we use that time to write better? Not really. We write differently. And we write more. But it certainly hasn't made us all into Mark Twains.

Would Don Quixote have been better literature if Cervantes had a typewriter? A word processor? An iPad? Probably not. But it would have been different.

My father never learned to type. Professionally, he dictated all his correspondence to a secretary, who recorded it in shorthand and typed it for him. This meant he had to be able to compose all of his thoughts for a letter in his head and express it verbally. Later, he might have once chance to make revisions. I couldn't do that if I tried, because my tools allow me to type myself and revise constantly, so that's how I organize my thoughts. He can't work the way I do. I can't work the way he did.

Photography is similar. We shoot a lot more, because we don't have to worry about the trouble & expense of film and processing. And we shoot differently, because cameras are more portable, zooms have improved optics, autofocus lets us capture fleeting moments, metering is more sophisticated.

Matthew Brady moved bodies on Civil War battlefields, because his equipment didn't allow him to capture the truth he wanted to convey. Today, he probably wouldn't have to do that. But that's not to say his photography would be better. It just would be different (and, of course, much better than anything I could hope to capture with a camera).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'd imagine that landscape painters and portrait painters call their photographic counterparts lazy LOL!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Believe it or not, this actually happened to some degree in history. When the "camera" first came out, some painters didn't think too highly of early photographers :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    A member from our club talks about "machine gun" photography, like firing a burst from a chain gun. Blat everything in sight in the hope of getting anything, rather than sitting and mulling over a shot to get a particular thing. £2.50 apps for the iPad.....not to mention PS or SFX allow you to make something out of anything, so post processing takes over to a certain extent? Is it lazy to spend less time behind the camera for a considered shot but more time at the screen to manipulate an image?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i take quite a few photos with the intent of really processing them to death
    but i dont take 5000 random photos and pull 1 out thats worthwhile

but, i also dont spend much time telling other people they are, or are not artists because they do, or do not do things MY way

i learned on film with a manual camera... and i want an x100 because it reminds me of it, sorta... but that doesnt mean i dont enjoy af lenses, or art filters(yay bw grainy!) or popup flashes, or any other "silly unartistic thing that people who dont know the 'art' of photography enjoy"

silliness! all of it!
    *flippant grand gesture of dismissal*
    • Like Like x 1