1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lazy ? - highest usable ISO on em-5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D@ne, Mar 28, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I've tried to read some of the reviews, but I'll be honest, reviews are boring...

Has any reviewer mentioned what the highest "recommended" ISO setting (in their opinion) would be on the upcoming em-5? I believe one Chinese reviewer said 3200.

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    There is really no substitute for doing the homework, I'm afraid...since it's a subjective call. It's also dependent on whether you will be shooting jpg or RAW. You have an e-pm1, so I'd recommend downloading the DPR files and comparing with those for your existing body.

I did this for the E-P3 and E-M5 and concluded that the latter is 1+ stop better in both RAW and jpeg, respectively. For me that means 1600 is totally fine, 3200 is very useable and 6400 in a pinch. YMMV...

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    i would concur with Tom...and maybe take it a half step further and say that 6400 is fine for most applications...just no big prints.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I realize it's a subjective question - I was wondering what others' opinions were who are more experienced than I.

I'm trying to justify in my head if the em-5 is a worthwhile future purchase...form-factor says "yes" (EVF, oled rotating display, more manual controls (ie buttons)), and other bonuses like revised ois, but I was wondering if I was going to have more working room as far as low-light situations go.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    About 1 stop more than whatever you find usable with the E-PM1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Thanks to all. I was hoping for more frankly. :(

7. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    How is the GX1 sensor relatively to EPM1, when shooting RAW? ... wondering where it stands w/ the E-M5

8. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Judging from the files I've seen, it's closer to 1 1/2 stops better.

I currently have ISO1600 set as my default on the E-P3, but with the E-M5, I can see myself using ISO5000 at the same quality level as the E-P3 at ISO1600 and even ISO6400 in some situations.

As was mentioned though, this is all very subjective :).

9. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    One thing I wanted to add as well though, is that you should be careful when selecting your maximum auto ISO.

You can handhold shots with much lower shutter speeds than many other cameras (because of the built-in IBIS). However, the auto ISO will choose a 'safe' shutter speed around 1/60 or 1/80 of a second. This means that, if you have your max ISO set higher, the camera will bump up the ISO in order to achieve what it thinks is a safe shutter speed.

Depending on the situation, you might be able to get away with a lower ISO and longer shutter speed (1/10 second, perhaps) and thus have a much better quality file at the end of it. You should probably chimp your pictures if you're using longer shutter speeds though, just to be safe :).

10. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Based on the samples I've seen on DPR recently, it is almost as good my current 60d at ISO 6400. So I would say 6400 is the highest useable ISO on the em-5. I don't blow up my shots though, so noise is rarely an issue for me, I guess I am more forgiving than other people when it comes to that.

11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It also depends why you are using high ISO.
    I.E if you are using a long lens in reasonable light and just want to use high ISO to keep the shutter speed up then you can probably get away with a higher ISO value than if you are using it because of poor light.

Paul

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm looking for low-light reasons.