1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Launching" your career as a photographer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by protapic, Jan 12, 2019.

1. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Saw this inspirational story in local paper. Gotta give credit to photographer who intentionally sets out to distinguish herself from the pack:

Aerial image of Cavaliers 2016 NBA championship parade launches Emily Roggenburk's career, opens store at Crocker Park

"Roggenburk says that she knew she wanted to photograph the parade as she'd done her best to document all of the excitement leading up to it. She decided renting a helicopter was the twist she needed to get the images that no one else would have."

the story later states:

"After the parade, she zipped home and edited the photos and posted them for sale that evening. "That weekend, I sold $30,000 worth of prints. I knew I was quitting my job after that." Within a month of the parade and after five years in product development at American Greetings, she did just that."

• Like Like x 2
  2. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I think the clever bit is combining the photographs with clothes and other products to make a style package.

I think just selling prints would be a recipe for failure. We are submerged with fantastic photographs.

3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    Thanks for sharing! I love hearing about successful female photographers—especially those who don't specialize in maternity/wedding/baby. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.