1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Latest new member!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MarTay6, May 24, 2011.

1. MarTay6

MarTay6 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2011
    NE Florida
    Hi, All-
    Latest new member here, comtemplating going Micro 4/3 in the very near future. Waiting out through June to see if Olympus is coming out with a new E-P3/E-PL3, as I really, really want a metal bodied camera, as opposed to the plastic E-P2. Feel this would be a camera to stick with as one of my main ones, currently using a couple of superzoom's (Fuji S200 EXR/Fuji FZ40), and contemplating a Nikon P500. Like shooting birds/squirrels and such. Have a couple of old 35mm Pentax lenses that I might buy an adaptor for and use with the M4/3.
    Heck, I'd settle for winning one~ *grin*
    Wes

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Good luck with the win, and welcome.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually... the E-P2 and E-P1 both have sturdy metal-alloy bodies.

Welcome to the forum, and soon to the Micro Four-Thirds world!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

5. MarTay6

MarTay6 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2011
    NE Florida
    Thanks, all--
    I'm aware both the EP-1 & 2 both have metal bodies, but from what I understand, the screen of the EP-1 doesn't have the brightness of the EP-2, and most of my use for this camera will be outdoors, sooooo..... the Electronic Viewfinder will be a necessity as well as the brighter LCD screen of the EP-2...
    Wes

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    To shoot birds and squirrels, a .22 rifle with a scope works best. But if you would rather take their picture, the E-P2 and its brethren are marvelous.

Loving my E-P2 with the kit lens, a 40-150 zoom, and adapters for my old minolta lenses.

Welcome to the joys of a small kit to carry everywhere.

-Steve

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure there's any difference in the E-P1 and E-P2 LCD, but the E-PL2 has the highest resolution LCD of all the PENs, with twice the resolution of the E-P1 and E-P2. It is now the same resolution of the Panasonic LCDs.

The VF-2 viewfinder however, remains as cutting edge as it was when it was released, being the highest resolution accessory EVF with the same resolution as the Panasonic integrated EVFs (G and GH series), but much better than the Panasonic accessory LVF (GF series). They are larger and brighter than most DSLR viewfinders, though not as clear as the top-pro pentaprism viewfinders like that found on the Olympus E-5.

The EVF really does improve outdoor shooting, and I'm sure you will be very happy with it. :) Another advantage to the accessory EVF is that they work as a 90° vari-finder allowing you to use them at any variable angle or look straight down into it. That's something you can't do with a DSLR. Plus you can see the actual exposure and color balance of the photo with the EVF, unlike a DSLR which only shows focus and composition. You can even get a zoomed in view when manual focusing.