1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Late to the OMD party plus requisite first photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zpierce, Jan 9, 2013.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Although I've been saving and itching for a new body for over a year now, when the OMD came out, I convinced myself that it wasn't the camera for me and that the GH3 would be the ticket. Fast forward 6 months, and the GH3 didn't really deliver on the main improvements I was looking for. Regardless though, I still wanted it. After months of waiting and the same availability fiasco as my GH2, I took another look at the OMD one night. After re-reading the reviews, and pricing it out, I realized I could get the OMD plus grip (a prereq for me) plus 12-50 for less than the GH3 body through my employer. I decided to give it a shot. As soon as I ordered it, a kind soul here posted the Olympus promos and I ordered my grip and 45mm at an additional $200 savings, what a steal, especially for that lens! In hindsight, I'm glad I waited. I got a much better deal, and many of the issues people complained about in the reviews seem to have been addressed in firmware updates, awesome!

My biggest fear, coming from exclusively owning mini-DSLR panny bodies was going to be the ergonomics. I'm glad I got the grip because with the grip, it's fabulous, very similar to my GH2. Without, I think it would drive me crazy, the shutter is just in an awkward spot for me and the grip is way too small for anything but the smallest lenses and even then not comfortable.

I'm not going to rehash what 100 other people have already said, but as an almost exclusive stills shooter this thing is awesome, I love it. I love the looks, the features, and most importantly the photos, etc. Perhaps my only real complaint about jumping over to Olympus from Panasonic is the lack of accessories with the lenses (as many people have lamented). As my first experience with IBIS, holy cow is it sweet. Shooting my favorite lens (Panny 25) just got that much better.

Anyhow, I kept my GH2 because I've hammered on that thing for 2 solid years and could never part with it, but I see a bright future for this newcomer to my collection!

Here's a few shots I took tonight. My daughter is sporting the camera that started the whole thing for me and the format, my trusty very old red G1. I'm thrilled that she has it now and is getting interested. I had more fun watching her shoot than shooting my new camera tonight!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/8365730399/" title="P1090002.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> 8365730399_89f52da128_c. "800" height="450" alt="P1090002.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/8366799492/" title="P1090014.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> 8366799492_456a8ab58b_c. "800" height="534" alt="P1090014.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/8366801864/" title="P1090021.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> 8366801864_7160ed9f7f_c. "600" height="800" alt="P1090021.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/8365734305/" title="P1090027.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> 8365734305_58cc026216_c. "800" height="600" alt="P1090027.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 15
  2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for sharing! Nice pics. Im sure its really something to see your kid pick up on hobbies your interested in yourself. :smile:

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Awesome shots. I really like the 2nd one especially with the light trails. Is your daughter sporting the 7-14 on her G1? Wow, that's one expensive lens. You must have a very responsible daughter. My dad was a photographer but I never picked up on it. I just wish he taught me his craft and I'd be a much better photographer now. :wink:

4. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Great shots. Lake Street bridge?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo-Op

Photo-Op Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    WI
    zpierce: Nice shots, grew up in WBL not too far and I am very familiar with that area. Nice shots! I have been using Nikon/Canon DSLRs for years but just picked up the new Olympus OMD and the new Panasonic GH3, back in the day when I wanted the GH2 I couldn't find them, I was lucky this time around with the GH3. I haven't had a chance to shoot much with the GH3, limited selection of lenses, however I did pick up the 20mm 1.7 lens and I have been using my Olympus kit lens with the GH3 as well. Just curious what you would recommend as people have been raving about the new fast focus Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens.

Here is a quick picture of a pic over the holidays using the OMD with a soft focus.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to the party, Zach! The E-M5 is a great camera! I have been using mine for the past 6 months or so, and have grown so used to it that I cannot go back to my E-P3 or E-PL3 anymore...

In fact, if Olympus weren't going to come out with a higher-end m4/3 camera that is compatible with their 4/3 lenses, I'd have bought myself a second E-M5 body, fearing that I might wear my current one out too quickly with the heavy usage!

BTW, nice images. I also like the second one with the light trails the best!

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    On another thread an owner stated that the OM-D is a "little jewel" ... and it truly is.

Gary

PS- I have two of 'em.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    ++++1 The only reason why I haven't bought a second one is because I'm also holding out on a newer model. God knows, I can use a second body with the amount of switching I do with my primes. But I will never ever sell my E-M5. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..congrats and exellent shots. You little princess is so cute.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  10. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    No, that's quite the opposite, the very inexpensive 14-42 :). I wish I had the 7-14. UWA is the big gap in my lineup still.

11. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    The pedestrian bridge at 24th st.

12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My bad. The 9-18 is a cheaper, adequate alternative and you won't feel the difference from the variable aperture because you can easily bump up the ISO to make up for the speed. Except I can confirm that it's not as sharp as the 7-14 (or 12/2). Others say get a fisheye and de-fish, I've never tried that. Don't you wish Olympus would release a UWA prime?

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The 7-14 is very sharp and I find it extremely useful. The two MM difference between the 9-18 and the 7-14 is significant. But with the 7-14, you'll have to jerry-rig filters and it is expensive. The 7-14 easily fulfills my UWA lust.

Gary

PS- Nice photos of your cute daughter, unfortunately she'll turn into a teenager.
    G

PPS- Just gotta love that IBIS.
    G

14. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I did order the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye during the recent Overstock deal to get my feet wet until I can afford the 7-14 :)

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Gary's right. 7mm and 9mm (or might I say 14mm and 18mm FF equivalent) is a world of a difference in FOV. I think you made the right choice with giving it a go with the fisheye.

16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Right - I always forget about that bridge. I live down off of 46th. There is a view of the skyline from 280 overlooking some warehouses that I'm trying to get, but can't seem to figure out a safe place to get to on foot to get the shot on my way-too-short lunch breaks.

Again - great shots.

17. Photo-Op

Photo-Op Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    WI
    Any recommendations for the E-M5 as far as lenses go? I am currently using a Lumix 20mm 1.7 and the 12-50mm lens that came with the kit. I am wondering how the new
    Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X will do on this camera as I might buy this lens for my GH3. Open to suggestions as I do mostly out door shots landscapes etc..

18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    12-35 is a great lens honestly I say its better than the early canon 24-70 L and just as nice in many ways as the current one

contrast is great corners are nice just a great lens all around

I might say well not as fast I think it might be nicer than the Panny 25 1.4 one place is CA is better controlled in the 12-35

19. Photo-Op

Photo-Op Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    WI
    HappyFish: Thanks for the heads up on this lens. I am thinking of getting one this week, no dealers near me that carry it so it looks like I might try Amazon. Here is a quick pick with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens.

Attached Files:

20. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Nice shots. I like #2 and #4 the best. I would have thought your daughter's face might have been too dark in the shadow in #4, but it looks good. Must have been enough light behind you. I'm a Panny guy and I tried a E-PL2 because of the IBIS. I just didn't bond with the Oly menus and sent it back. The shots I've seen from the OMD are great and make me wonder if I should give Oly a second chance.