Late season tobacco hornworm with Raynox DCR-250

Discussion in 'Nature' started by isabel95, Oct 10, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've been following this creature since I found him (her?) on my nearly defoliated eggplant plant, which I had cut back at the end of the season.

Noting that there was nothing left for him to eat, as shown in this Canon 40D shot:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5063384504/" title="_MG_1988 Last Bit of Green by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">[​IMG]"972" height="648" alt="_MG_1988 Last Bit of Green" /></a>
    I moved him to a tomato plant that still had foliage on it. This morning I found him on the surface of the soil, laying on his side, looking quite dead, but I breathed on him and my warm breath made him stir.

After a couple of hours the sun came around to this side of the house and he became more lively - if you could call moving his head back and forth lively.

I watched for an hour or so, waiting for him to climb the tomato plant and as he was tangled in dired leaves and stems, I cut them and lifted him on to some fresh green growth.

He still hadn't latched on to something to eat after quite a while and was swinging his head back and forth and rejecting any growth it landed on:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5068146775/" title="P9090964 Warmed up tobacco hornworm by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">[​IMG]"790" height="907" alt="P9090964 Warmed up tobacco hornworm" /></a> (taken with E-PL1 and Raynox DCR-250)

I really enjoy using the VF2 viewfinder on the E-PL1 for macros like this.

Isabel

• Like Like x 4
  2. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Hi Isabel, I'm liking the hornworm ... he looks cute enough for a pixar disney film in the first picture!

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    That is a great picture. What lens did you have on the camera besides the raynox ? And how did you get such clear detail and depth of field ?

Here is one of mine from earlier today, a Shield Bug taken with panleica 45mm, raynox 250 on G1 at f7.1, iso 800, 1/80. Not very impressive really. I did some up to f11 and they were no better[​IMG] .

• Like Like x 2
  4. isabel95

Lovely creature. Reminds me of "stink bugs" I've photographed. I'm totally fascinated with insects. Macrophotography has made me appreciate just how amazingly they're made. You just can't see all those details with the naked eye...the the reasonably priced Raynox DCR-250 fills the macro-bucket (at least for photography little things like bugs) very nicely, if you don't want to invest in a macro lens for your camera.

5. isabel95

Thank you, Briar...

Since it's not growing season, I've decided not to rehome this hornworm so I can watch what happens to him as it gets colder and colder. I'm expecting I may not even see him tomorrow morning. He may have burrowed into the soil.

And regarding your comment about Pixar - haven't you noticed that a lot of those science fiction getups look awfully much like closeups you've taken of insects?

Isabel

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I think it is also called a stink bug, they have a few different names.

What lens do you have the Raynox attached to on your EPL-1 ?

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Those things always gave me the hibbiejeebies. They used to love our tomatoe plants. Very nice.

8. isabel95

The 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic

Isabel