Last year's model, or who cares?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PaulGiz, Jan 5, 2016.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've been happy with the speed and image quality of my EPL5. Don't use long lenses and even 3-way IBIS was fine.

Only complaint I have is having to go through menus and teeny control dial on the back to adjust things on the fly.

Apparently, Oly has stopped making the OM-d M-5, and B&H is blowing them out.

Bought one for the 2-dial control, and extra FN buttons. The more rugged body and better IBIS are icing on the cake. Don't need to spend thousands on my hobby, just like taking pictures.

I'm giddy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It is still a great camera. And a serious value. Enjoy it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Cameras are a lot like cars. If someone offered to sell you a ten year old model of a vehicle you have admired and lusted after for a price you could afford you would not complain that it was ten years old and did not have all the latest features. You would enjoy it for what it is. Same with cameras.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    What CWRailman said...

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The $379 one? What a great price for a new body. Still essentially the same IQ as the Em5 II. I also went from a PL5 to the EM5 and the IBIS is much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    With cars you can install new or upgraded components, modify interior and exterior to your likes and drive it proudly through central street in town on Sunday as fine example of design and engineering.
    Not sure if any of this can be applied to 10 years old electronic gadgets.. :hide:

7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Don't think of cars that way nor cameras. They are each just a tool. YMMV of course. For many it does.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I am familiar with many who do that just as I am sure there are those who have painted over masterpieces however there are those of us who are purists and consider doing such as a travesty and would not think of changing anything except the oil:dance3:. Dad%20and%20Vicki%20Visit%202011%20088a.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    then eventually you won't be required to do even that, just add oil at every gas stop, those signs are there for the reason :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Some folks think of cars as just tools but many clearly don't. Hence, car shows, custom shops, and the money invested in design. Cameras work the same way for many. There is a pleasure to using a finely crafted device aside from the outcome produced. It is not be true for everyone but it is certainly true for some. I myself am tempted to try an older TLR film camera. Will my results be better than my current mu43 kit? Different, but probably not better. Would the fun I have offset the price of the TLR? There are definitely models available on KEH for a price approaching that break even point. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'm more impressed by a 15 year old car that's in showroom condition than one that's just rolled out the factory. As for cameras and other tech, I tend to buy a generation behind. Its cheaper, more reliably reviewed and doesn't usually lose out too much against the latest version.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    You know, some of my favorite pictures were taken with a Canon IIIG and a Serenar 5cm f3.5 folding lens.

P.

13. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Funny you should mention TLR. Facebook always suggests sites that I might be interested in. Here is one that they suggested today. Log into Facebook | Facebook

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There is an old TLR (I think it's Yasicha) that is being passed down from student to student in a film photography class we have here. It has actually been slightly modified so they can fit in metal plates to try older photographic emulsions.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    We are all last year's model. And that's being generous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    That's kind of the genius of the system--even with the PENs. You can get tremendous I.Q. from older models and even the existing primes have dropped in price considerably. A new 45mm lens goes for about $200, which is nothing given the quality of the lens.

17. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    I bought 2 EM-5's when they came out and liked the IQ but hated Olympus menus. They mostly collected dust and when I tried to sell them I was shocked at how little you could get for one. They were one step away from being Goodwill items. I shoot them once in a while and will continue to collect dust before I sell them for going rate.

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The E-M5 is just fine, Paul. Congratulations and enjoy. BTW, did you activate the Super Control Panel on either of your Oly cameras? It goes a long way toward easing the pain of Oly's menu system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I think I have 50,000 shots on my E-M5's shutter. Love that little guy. Bought it new. It's paid for itself in sold prints, weddings, and concerts--not to mention the shear pleasure of having a camera system light enough to hike 60 miles through the mountains of British Columbia.

• Like Like x 2
  20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm very envious of the people just getting into it. My best friend picked up an open box OM-D E-M5 Mark I with the 12-50 for $400 CDN (that's $282 USD right now!!!!). That's absolutely unbelievable!!

It's still an awesome camera with tons of great functions that can easily hold its own in the current mirrorless arena...so good for you and anyone else snapping up these clearance bodies...you're getting a heck of a deal on some top-notch gear! :)

• Agree Agree x 1